Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 AWD Slipping when turning from a dead stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Default 2008 AWD Slipping when turning from a dead stop

Hey all,
I just picked up a 2008 Pacifica Limited AWD with a 4.0L with 130xxx miles on the clock. I know it's not a T&C but from what I read the Pacifica and T&C AWD are pretty much the same. The Pacifica area seems not to be very active.
It's a pretty clean car with pretty good service history. Pretty typical maintenance from what shows on CarFax. Whenever I buy a used car I try to determine what maintenance needs to be done or is questionable. So on the list I have a timing belt and driveline service.
One thing that my wife noticed was taking off from a stop sign the car seems to lag a little like the transmission is slipping. This only happens from a dead stop and only when turning a corner. Straight line it does not happen. The transmission seems solid hard or soft through the gears (autostick). No noise or slipping on the highway or fluctuating RPM. No engine light or codes when I scanned it either.
In going through the service records I found the transmission does not show it has ever been serviced so I have it at the shop for a drain fill with ATF+4 and filter to start....damn sealed trans. They are also going to see if they can duplicate the issue we noticed. It seems to be coming from the rear of the car which puzzles me because it only happens while turning. The records also do not show the PTU has been serviced but the rear differential has been. The shop is an independent transmission shop that actually knows Mopar transmissions. Has anyone had similar issues? Anyone know where to start looking? I have never dealt with a vehicle that has the PTU setup with the overrun clutch in the rear. Also...does the overrun clutch share lubrication with the rear differential on the 2007-2008 or is it separate? What fluid is in each? Gear oil or ATF+4? I know so many questions for this newbee. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Initially thinking of your fault if you actually have a fault, To move off in a straight line the resistance in rear wheels will be same as front wheels. Now turn front wheels and move off, the vehicle front wheels really want to go straight on, as its AWD, so they scuff slightly as they turn. So I would be inclined to think there would be more power going to rears so it slips. Its an AWD thing I would say when only moving off take note.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Initially thinking of your fault if you actually have a fault, To move off in a straight line the resistance in rear wheels will be same as front wheels. Now turn front wheels and move off, the vehicle front wheels really want to go straight on, as its AWD, so they scuff slightly as they turn. So I would be inclined to think there would be more power going to rears so it slips. Its an AWD thing I would say when only moving off take note.
From what I have read the overrunning clutch is only supposed to engage when the front wheels are slipping. I have also read that the operation is pretty seamless and normally can not be felt when driving in dry conditions. This is my concern. It can be felt, and seems almost like it is binding up for a second or two. I just don't want it to bind up and damage anything else. Up through the 2006 model year the fluid in the unit could be serviced however in the 2007-2008 you can not change the fluid, it's a sealed box. With the rear electrical clutch connector disconnected the issue does not happen...the wife made a point to call me and said "hey you fixxed it!!!" lol...If only she knew the concerns in my head!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:54 PM

No such thing as a sealed box. BMW, MERC, ETC, say they have sealed boxes but they know its a neccesity to change that oil after 100,000 odd miles. Usually done by dropping the pan, change/clean the filter and refill down dipstick hole.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
No such thing as a sealed box. BMW, MERC, ETC, say they have sealed boxes but they know its a neccesity to change that oil after 100,000 odd miles. Usually done by dropping the pan, change/clean the filter and refill down dipstick hole.
I'm aware the transmission is not truly sealed. I was referring to the overrunning clutch unit attached to the rear differential. Before 2007 you were able to service it. In 2007 they went to an electromagnetically activated clutch and the clutches are in a sealed non serviceable unit attached to the rear differential.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Problem solved...It turned out the overrunning clutch was bad. Found one at LKQ with 42000 miles on it swapped it in (45 minute job taking my time) and works perfectly.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Very Good and a second hand one does the job...Note this fault for when it comes up again....