Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 T&C Rear Brake Flex Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Default 2009 T&C Rear Brake Flex Hoses

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have learned many things from this site; thanks to everyone who contributes!

I had the oil changed in my 2009 T&C Touring 4.0L yesterday. I'm the original owner and the dealership's service department has done most of the maintenance (mostly warranty work and all oil changes). They gave me the typical recommendations to clean the injectors and replace the air filter, but there were 3 that stuck out that make me think I'm being scammed.

1) They want $110 to do a "brake flush." I've never heard of the brake fluid being changed, though I suppose it can get dirty.

2) They want to service "light corrosion" on the battery for $41. I can get a new refurb battery for that much, but there is no corrosion on the battery!

3) The worst one that really bothers me: They want $299 to replace the rear brake flex hoses because they were "misrouted" and they are wearing down one of the brake lines. They claim this was done by whoever replaced the brakes, and the vehicle would fail inspection as a result. Even their verbiage was shady: the rep said he "couldn't in good conscience not tell us." If my brakes are failing, why would you ever consider not telling the customer?

I'll see what I can do about posting a pic, but there is a small line that runs parallel to the main line. I think it's for ABS. There are 2 clips in a fixed position that hold that line in place. The brake line can only be installed one way, so either this smaller line goes on the inside (between brake line and vehicle) of the brake line or the outside of the brake line. In either case, the brackets are positioned such that the smaller line will rub on the larger line. There is a spongy tape wrapped around the smaller line that was worn through, but no signs of wear on the main brake line. I firmly believe that tape was applied by the manufacturer. My smaller line runs on the inside of the brake line.

I've found 2 other Dodge Caravans and checked their routing. The 2010 lines had 3 clips total, and the were oriented 90 degrees differently holding the hose on the outside. The 2011 had 2 clips oriented 90 degrees toward the inside of the vehicle.

I've looked up the replacement part, and the AC Delco part shows 2 clips and the one that would prevent the wear is oriented 90 degrees off (I can't figure out if it's inside or outside). Both OEM and non-OEM part sites all show 2 clips. I can't find a part or picture with 3 clips.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate a 2009 at a used dealer nor do I know anyone who has one. I'm wondering if this is a one-off issue?

The other thing that bothers me is the brakes were done at least 3 oil changes ago. Why didn't they mention this then? Not to mention that I believe it's always been this way, yet they've never said anything? Besides, there is no wear on the brake lines to warrant a replacement, and the parts would be no more than $50 even if they did replace them.

Please help me find the truth!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM

I was able to verify the line is definitely the anti-lock brake sensor (ABS) line.