Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:56 PM

Cool!
A repair for only 44 cents? Man, that's a new cheap-o record!
Congrats.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 PM

Well, my luck finally ran out. I knew it would, eventually.

A couple of the old original links in my liftgate chain finally broke again.

Fortunately, I still had enough of the new chain I purchased to remove and replace the original section with the broken links, as well as, the section of new chain I had installed for my previous repair. That way, I still only needed two master links. Got the liftgate operating again.

But I'm gonna order about 3 feet of chain and (now that I've been in there repairing enough, I have become my own chain replacement expert) I'll replace the whole chain with new stuff. Bet it won't brake again.

Man, those stinking factory original links are weak!

Old 07-31-2015, 03:11 PM

Hi
I'm in the UK, I've managed to purchase some chain and links from the following:
#25 Single Strand-Riveted Roller Chain, 10 feet - RobotShop.
Some of the posts refer to a 'heavy duty' option but not sure if the above is?
I'm about to embark on trying to repair the chain, mine snapped when one of my children got in the way when the tailgate was closing and my husband stopped it mid flow.
How difficult is it to take the panelling off to get to this mechanism? Did you repair the chain with the mechanism in situ or did you remove it?
Many Thanks

Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dottylou
Hi
I'm in the UK, I've managed to purchase some chain and links from the following:
#25 Single Strand-Riveted Roller Chain, 10 feet - RobotShop.
Some of the posts refer to a 'heavy duty' option but not sure if the above is?
I'm about to embark on trying to repair the chain, mine snapped when one of my children got in the way when the tailgate was closing and my husband stopped it mid flow.
How difficult is it to take the panelling off to get to this mechanism? Did you repair the chain with the mechanism in situ or did you remove it?
Many Thanks

That chain looks like it will work. Don't know how much better it is than factory, but almost anything has got to be better than what Chrysler uses.

You will also need at least a couple of master links for the repair. I would buy a couple of extra, since they're cheap. (See my last comment and you'll see why you may need extras).

Be sure to inspect the entire chain. I found other cracked or broken links besides the ones that had obviously failed.

The panel is easy to remove. One screw at the rear seat belt in the ceiling and two push type plastic plugs near the left rear window area. Then, use a little light force to pull the panel out.

Leave the mechanism in place.

Use a star bit to loosen the screw that locks the cam tensioner in place.

Use a larger star bit to rotate the cam tension adjuster at the top of the mechanism to get some slack.

Used my dremel to cut the pins off the bad section of links, removed them, and installed the new chain section. Rotated the cam adjuster again to tighten up the new chain. Retightened the cam tensioner locking screw.

The new chain was much more heavy duty than the original chain, but fit in perfectly with the original chain.

Note:

BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU DON'T DROP ANY PARTS/TOOLS INTO THE FENDER AREA.

I dropped some things in there and had to use a flexible magnet to retrieve some of them. But I never got all the stuff out that I had dropped in there.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Well Beau Kat
You've done it again, saved some one else a shed load of money!! I don't know what the conversion rate is at the mo but I was quoted £700 to have the mechanism replaced!
All now working fine with a replaced link!
Thank you so very much from the UK ��

Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Beau-Kat
Don't know if this has been discussed on here before so I thought I'd offer some advice that might save someone a few hundred bucks repairing their liftgate mechanism.

Our liftgate chain broke. Upon inspection there were several cracked links along with the broken one. Could only find on the internet that the complete liftgate power mechanism had to be replaced. The chain itself wasn't available for purchase. I found the new mechanisms costing anywhere from $200-450.

Well, I saw a number on the chain, #25. Googled "chain #25" and discovered electric scooters used that chain. Ordered one foot of the heavy duty chain and a couple of master links (and 1/2 and 1 1/2 links as a just in case).

The number on the bag the chain came in is CHN-HD2548.
The master kink is CHN-HD25ML.
The half link is CHN-HL.
The link and a half is CHN-25LHL.

I ordered them from ElectricSccoterParts.com 1-800-908-8082.

Rotated the cam tension adjuster at the top of the mechanism to get some slack. Used my dremel to cut the pins off the bad section of links, removed them, and installed the new chain section. Rotated the cam adjuster again to tighten up the new chain. The new chain was much more heavy duty than the original chain, but fit in perfectly with the original chain.

All said and done, I spent only $18 and about two hours of my own labor for this repair. Liftgate works 100% now!
Hi, our lift gate fail and I would like to fix it myself but how I remove the lift gate interior panel to get to the chain?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 AM

Sorry for the late reply.
I can't remember without looking at our van.
I'll look at our van when my wife gets back later today and post the instructions then.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:54 PM

OK.
To remove the interior panel that covers the lift gate lifting mechanism do the following:
There is a screw under a plastic circular cover to the left of the rear seat belt that is mounted to the ceiling. Pry off the cover and remove that screw.
There are two circular plastic plugs in the panel at the rear of the left rear window. Pry these out.
Disconnect the lift gate lifting bar from the gate. Just grasp the "knuckle" where it connects to the lift gate and pull the lifting bar away from the lift gate.
Pry off the black cover that houses the switch. Pull it out enough to disconnect the wire connected to the switch.
Then, you should be able to remove the plastic interior panel that covers the mechanism.

Last edited by Beau-Kat; 10-03-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM

Am I the only crazy one that would like to simply replace the whole chain?
Am planning to order the complete assembled chain, but need the exact size or # of links.

Is it impossible to install an assembled chain or do I need to assemble it during installation?

Thanks all for your great help!

Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 PM

I think my chain is broken when I press the button to close the gate I can hear clicking but nothing happens I am based in the UK and Chrysler want £500 to replace the motor assembly.

Is it easier just replacing the whole chain?

How easy is it to replace the chain I will order what Dottylou ordered do you have to replace the whole chain or just broken links and will it be enough?

Last edited by Fayraz; 07-04-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs