Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 AM

I just replaced several the links that were broken. And adjusted the tentioner cam at the top of the mechanism. It has been a year and a half since the repair (Nov-2014). Still working well :-)

Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Just took my cover off to have a look at chain and here are some pictures of the damage:

Do I need to order the whole chain here:

#25 Single Strand-Riveted Roller Chain, 10 feet - RobotShop

OR

Can I just order these links to replace the broken ones:

Connecting Link for Roller Chain #25 - RobotShop

Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Default anybody?

Originally Posted by redcastello
Am I the only crazy one that would like to simply replace the whole chain?
Am planning to order the complete assembled chain, but need the exact size or # of links.

Is it impossible to install an assembled chain or do I need to assemble it during installation?

Thanks all for your great help!
Anybody?
Please?

Old 07-09-2016, 04:14 AM

You could probably replace the whole chain but the chain is linked to the strut here:

Name:  20160706_130415_1.jpg
Views: 3800
Size:  210.7 KB

So you need to remove the chain from there, I am not sure how you would do that has someone else done that?

I am just waiting for my chain and links to arrive it is probably easier just to replace the broken links.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 AM

Hello .. We sold our 2010 and bought a '16. As for our '10. I remember looking at the mounting points for the chain and not wanting to tackle that. So I just replaced links that had broke. I think you could get away with leaving the last few links in either end. Those links probably will last because they don't see the torque or twist as the links in the middle. All the breaks seam to happen in the middle of the chain.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by Fayraz
You could probably replace the whole chain but the chain is linked to the strut here:

So you need to remove the chain from there, I am not sure how you would do that has someone else done that?

I am just waiting for my chain and links to arrive it is probably easier just to replace the broken links.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Loosen the torx set screw on top. Loosen the tensioner adjustment torx fitting. Remove the cam assembly from the top by lifting and then remove chain from both sprockets. Slide the push rod carrier to the top and out of the bracket. The chain and push rod assembly can then be removed from the motor assembly.

Last edited by Cheyne; 07-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM

I have received my chain and links but I thought I'd try the motor out again and plugged the switch in and nothing happens now. Do I need to re-connect something else?

Also the chain and guide pops out quite easily from the rail is this supposed to happen? I never loosened anything it just comes out.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 PM

I think my chain is broken when I press the button to close the gate I can hear clicking but nothing happens I am based in the UK and Chrysler want £500 to replace the motor assembly.

Is it easier just replacing the whole chain?

How easy is it to replace the chain I will order what Dottylou ordered do you have to replace the whole chain or just broken links and will it be enough?
The chain is connected to the slider by an iron bar. That bar has prongs that go through the chains' endlinks and then through the slider itself. Those prongs are then punched flat so they are stuck. I see no way to loosen the bar from the slider and free the ends of the chain in a way that it can be reassembled with a new chain. Basically, the ends of the chain are stuck. The slider is U-shaped around the bar so that the first couple of links of the chain are inside the u. You can replace the whole chain, except the last couple of links at each end. So they will stay the weak links. I chose to just replace the one broken link.

I've also found that the 25H chain I got was 0.9mm wider than the original 25 chain. There was too much space so the chain went crooked. I took a second master link and used it's loose plate as a spacer so it was snug.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Don't test the motor without the door connected!

I assembled everything except the rods connecting to the door and pushed the button to test it. It went down and I thought it would stop before it would reach the end. It didn't. Apparently the door lock tells the motor to stop. It kept going and broke the pointy triangular things on the plastic plates on the sides of the slider. It still works, but I feel bad. Don't know what the pointy bits were for, but they're gone now.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Oh, and don't force the door down when it comes back up due to an obstacle.. That's how I broke the chain in the first place.

Quick Reply: 2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs