Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 T&C liftgate chain repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Default I'm going in!

201 Chrysler T&C. Lift gate stopped lifting. I took the cover off and the chain is broken . Looks like my plan is to replace the whole chain using the info and sources from this thread. Thanks, all!

Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Red face Done!

I took old the old chain off except for three "tubes" on each end of the strut holder. Ebay has the #25 chain for $15 for 10' feet (!), plus two master links (!) and free shipping (!), which was $15 cheaper than the scooter place. So, I counted out 121 links (count by two's and put a Sharpie mark every 10), connected everything with the master links, put the strut and cover back on, and it tested fine! So, you don't have to replace the whole mechanism, and now I've got about 8 ft extra chain (!) in case it breaks ever again. Thanks, all!

Regards,
leaning

Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Default 2010 T&C rear lift gate chain repair

so thanks i saw all these posts and replaced a broken link in my chain

When i reinstalled the unit, the power lift gate opens (goes up) fine, but will not go down under power. It actually goes up and down fine when using the fob to force it to go down but only before the gate goes all the way up....

Any thoughts out there?

Old 11-15-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Beau-Kat
Don't know if this has been discussed on here before so I thought I'd offer some advice that might save someone a few hundred bucks repairing their liftgate mechanism.

Our liftgate chain broke. Upon inspection there were several cracked links along with the broken one. Could only find on the internet that the complete liftgate power mechanism had to be replaced. The chain itself wasn't available for purchase. I found the new mechanisms costing anywhere from $200-450.

Well, I saw a number on the chain, #25. Googled "chain #25" and discovered electric scooters used that chain. Ordered one foot of the heavy duty chain and a couple of master links (and 1/2 and 1 1/2 links as a just in case).

The number on the bag the chain came in is CHN-HD2548.
The master kink is CHN-HD25ML.
The half link is CHN-HL.
The link and a half is CHN-25LHL.

I ordered them from ElectricSccoterParts.com 1-800-908-8082.

Rotated the cam tension adjuster at the top of the mechanism to get some slack. Used my dremel to cut the pins off the bad section of links, removed them, and installed the new chain section. Rotated the cam adjuster again to tighten up the new chain. The new chain was much more heavy duty than the original chain, but fit in perfectly with the original chain.

All said and done, I spent only $18 and about two hours of my own labor for this repair. Liftgate works 100% now!
Hello and thank you for the information. I did have a question as I am about to undertake this project/repair. Can you decribe where the cam tention adjuster is exactly? Thank you.