Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Is a 2014 Town and Country worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Smile Is a 2014 Town and Country worth buying?

I am used to paying about 10,000 for a used car. Car dealers and manufacturers seem to be getting out of hand by inflating prices.

Do you think a Town and Country is worth 30,000 or more?

What parts do you think will break? If I paid that much, I'd hope to never see an engine or a transmission problem.

I think it used to be prettier on the outside than it is now. I liked the rounded corners. Now its more square looking.

It appears that the engine compartment will be tightly packed. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet. Can people do their own car repairs? Or do they have to pay a small fortune to have a Chrysler dealership or repair shop do everything?

What don't you like about your town and country?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM

When ever going the Dealership way, always go through the fleet manager.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:43 AM

Maybe it depends on where you live; I can't comment on the USA, but in UK., Chrysler dealers are few and far between. And if this website is anything to go by, there has been a degree of incompetence shown by what dealers there are. As time wears on, vehicles get more and more complex, MOTs get more and more onerous, example, the latest being "no tell-tales" in the front panel.
So rather than just considering what a vehicle costs to buy, also consider how much it's going to cost to keep running, and indeed if you can find anyone to fix it when it does go wrong. And in my opinion, not only are todays vehicles no more reliable overall than they used to be, modern vehicles are much harder to fix and most certainly they are fabulously expensive to fix compared to, say, the 1970s. Modern emission regulations don't exactly help either.
There is also the "spare parts rip-off" problem. Along with makers such as BMW, Jaguar etc., many complaints about costly parts also apply to Chrysler. Example, the cost of 'official' ATF for Jaguar is about FOUR times what it should be. And this is a routine maintenance item.
Finally, hand on heart, in all my motoring exoperience, my best overall motor in terms of cost, reliability etc. was a MkI Ford diesel Mondeo. I bought it s/h with 75,000mile on the clock, used it for work commuting, lunchtimes, shopping, holidays for SIX years with no trouble except tyres and a broken front road spring right at the end which cost me £15 from a breaker and one and a half hours labor. It had NO microprocessors.
It did 36 to 40mpgUK. My daughter's modern diesel Vauxhall Vectra does around 26mpgUK.
Hope this experience helps you in your decision.

Leedsman.

Copy & paste from another posting --
To be accurate, and after researching, it DOES appear there are footbrake problems on later GVs, about 2009 onwards.
These include stupendous wear on brake pads, vibrations, and extremely hot wheels.
It appears that in the US there are class-action lawsuits against Daimler-Chrysler. (In UK these are called group-action).
Oh dear.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-04-2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Addition.