Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

biodiesel in 2005 grand voyager 2.8 crd

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Question biodiesel in 2005 grand voyager 2.8 crd

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with this question, I am considering running my 2005 grand voyager on biodiesel. I telephoned Chryler who advise that it" can cause many problems with injectors and seals".

Is anyone running on biodiesel? Have you had any problems?

Any feedback greatly recieved

Regards

Liz

Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
tfb

I run mine (well my wife's) 57 2.8 on biodiesel.

The major problem of any biodiesel is the quality of it. I have seen some very poor quality stuff full of water, soaps and un-reacted oil passed off as biodiesel. A friend of mine recently caused £3000 of damage to his Audi A6 by using "biodiesel" he bought from a chap in a pub - I wouldn't like to guess what it was he ended up putting in his tank.

I make my own biodiesel and I'm fairly sure of the quality of what I produce. I test it for soaps and complete conversion of veg oil and so far have only had one problem with a blocked filter during the last very cold spell we had.

Please note there is a BIG difference between vegetable oil and biodiesel. Straight, unheated vegetable will kill your pump in a very short time. Well made biodiesel should be fine.

If you want to learn more about bio try here vegetableoildiesel.co.uk - Powered by XMB 1.9.11

Regards
Richard

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Also run the wifes on home made biodiesel, thats us approaching 10k miles on it.

Since starting I've had to replace 1 injector seal (it blew an injector)and another one went recently that I've yet to change.

Not convinced it's down to using bio though.

One thing I would say is that if I was buying bio at prices close to pump diesel, and not making it myself, I probably wouldnt do it.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 PM

You fellas got some spare for sale?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 AM

Under no circumstances should you put "buckshee" or "moonlight" biodiesel in your diesel tank, especially for a modern commonrail engine. As Tfb says, all sorts of rubbish can be suspended in the amateur stuff. Any money you save will be cancelled out a hundred times over by damage. (The £3000 Audi damage).
Pump diesel contains about 5% bio, 95% mineral. This is mainly to get some lubrication of the fuel pumps since the de-sulphurization of diesel. Bio is remarkably good at this lubrication.
Abandon the idea of putting unknown, amateur biodiesel in your car. Don't say you weren't warned.

Leedsman.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Under no circumstances should you put "buckshee" or "moonlight" biodiesel in your diesel tank, especially for a modern commonrail engine. As Tfb says, all sorts of rubbish can be suspended in the amateur stuff. Any money you save will be cancelled out a hundred times over by damage. (The £3000 Audi damage).
Pump diesel contains about 5% bio, 95% mineral. This is mainly to get some lubrication of the fuel pumps since the de-sulphurization of diesel. Bio is remarkably good at this lubrication.
Abandon the idea of putting unknown, amateur biodiesel in your car. Don't say you weren't warned.

Leedsman.

So where are the good places to source bio?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 PM

As Tfb says, to be sure biodiesel is good, you have to make it yourself. The questionable stuff I've seen is not much cheaper than the mineral from the pumps. Pointless excercise in economy in fact when you consider the risks. And what are the risks?
The commonrail system pressurizes the injectors permanently at around 25,000ls/sq" whether it's solenoid or piezo. The injectors are switched on and off electrically, 12volt with a 70volt pulse-start for solenoid, 400volt simple pulse for piezo. Now IF there is something in the diesel that's shouldn't be there, like water for example, the water instantly vaporizes with the heat ON TOP OF THE DIESEL HIGH PRESSURE, and is quite capable of blowing off the end of the injector where the pintle sits. If it's a piezo injector, you'll have to part with £600 for a new one -- well, that's what they cost for a diesel Golf GTi.
Stick with mineral diesel.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-04-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Bad spelling