Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

6 cd/dvd player - stuck discs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Default 6 cd/dvd player - stuck discs

Hi, new guy here.

I recently bought a 2005 Grand Caravan. I see many other threads here about problems with the 6 disc cd/dvd changer, so if this question has been answered many times over, please pardon the repeat and point me in the right direction.

The dvd player was working fine until I disconnected the battery to do another repair (alternator). When the battery was reconnected I wasn't paying close attention and I saw it had spit a disc out. I attempted to reinsert the disc thinking that the player had just spit it out when the battery was reconnected.. and long story short I now have the 3 left / 3 right flashing lights and the player does some gyrating when I press eject, but it soon gives up and goes back to flashing lights.

This is a model P05094033AA 6 disc player. At the very least I'd like to get the 3 or 4 discs that are stuck in the player out. Ideally, I'd like it to work again too.

I pulled the unit out and pulled the top cover and faceplate off, such that I can see the discs through the holes in the housing. I am reluctant to tear it apart any further with out some idea of what I need to take apart to get the discs out.

Are there any threads or links with instructions how to get the discs out?
Or am I better off sending the unit out somewhere for repair? If so, where?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 AM

See my posts here https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...in-outs-24416/

Once I realised that my player was beyond economical repair I butchered the internals to get all the discs out.

This week I have installed one of these 12.1" Car Drop Down Roof DVD/TV Player Monitor | eBay
It is superb and I can highly recommend the unit and the seller on eBay.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM

Here's a few snapshots of my new DVD player. I'm really pleased with it, particularly as my existing 2 channel IR headphones work with it.

Attached Thumbnails 6 cd/dvd player - stuck discs-dscf5345-r.jpg   6 cd/dvd player - stuck discs-dscf5351-r.jpg   6 cd/dvd player - stuck discs-dscf5356-r.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM

First of all, the link to Chrysler-Delphi Six-Disc CD changers: swaps and fixes was a huge help in providing info on tearing apart the unit. The instructions do fall short on describing how to get stuck discs off the spindle however. The author basically states that the metal platforms or plastic keeper will likely be destroyed. This is not the case if you know what to do. (I figured it out).

When I opened up the changer I found I had two discs on the top have and two on the bottom. In my case manually moving the gears did not move the platform all the way up. I had to manually pull the platforms apart.

Name:  20150608_192814.jpg
Views: 5261
Size:  101.6 KB This is after I opened it up. I removed the screw on the spindle (it was easy to get off unlike what the article stated) and with some fidgiting I was able to get the spindle off discs and all.

Name:  20150608_192901.jpg
Views: 4864
Size:  99.8 KB The metal platforms have three little pins.

Name:  20150608_193221.jpg
Views: 4778
Size:  65.0 KBThe trick is that the pins on the platform go into the slots of the spindle. The slots look similar to an escalator or staircase from the side. You rotate the inner portion of the spindle (which is just a big gear type thing) and the platforms move up and down the spindle.

Once you have all the metal platforms on the spindle, you should be in good shape.

I ran into problems with the two discs on the top portion of the changer (to the left of the first image). I couldn't figure how to get the metal platforms removed for these discs. I ended up turning the screw that holds the white gear on the top center of the changer and quickly succeeded in breaking a couple of the teeth on the gear. With much screwing around with this I got the discs out but now the gear is broken.

I suspect that I may have other issues with the unit due to the fact the platforms didn't move with manually moving the gears.

So now I'm looking for suggestions on what to do for a replacement or repair.

Do I attempt to get this changer repaired?
Do I go on eBay and find another Chrysler 6 disc changer? I have the P05094033AA model. From what I've read I can swap out a later version like the AB -AF.
Do I attempt to go with an aftermarket unit?

The moral of the story as you stated Alan. Save yourself a lot of headache and..

Always eject the discs before disconnecting the battery.

Bjorn

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM

One more image (that I forgot last reply). This is the gear that I shredded the teeth on.

Name:  20150608_195855.jpg
Views: 5017
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM

@ Bjorn Agin, so you're a fan of Lego The Movie

You did well to dismantle your unit to that extent, well done. I would be careful about buying a used unit as I've read of a couple of instances of people buying second hand units that were faulty.

Last edited by AlanC; 06-09-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Bjorn, You seem to have learned a lot about your DVD. I have started to have the same problem: Can you help. We have a 2005 Town & Country. It has a 6 disc CD/DVD Changer which worked fine until recently. When we tried to play it the lights flashed (normally in 2 groups of 3) back and forth and I got an ERROR message on my radio display screen. I could not eject the discs inside I found the same model number (P05094033AA) on ebay and bought it used and got the exact same problem. When I installed it the lights flashed back and forth and I got an ERROR message on my radio display screen. Other than that it didn't work. You can not load any DVD's into it. Do you have any advice - thank you in advance for any help you can give me.