Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

DVD Player Pin-outs

Old 05-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Default DVD Player Pin-outs

I'm trying to fix a problem with my DVD player which started after fitting a new battery. It's annoying because the same fault occured with my last Voyager after fitting a new battery to that too.
I think it's a common fault: 6 LED's flash in cycles, 3 on left then 3 on right. Can't play any discs nor will it eject any discs.
I've partly dismantled the unit but I need to apply power to it while it's on the work bench, so that I might be able to see what the problem is (Possibly mechanical).
So does anybody know which of the pins on the multi-pin plugs supply 12v to the unit? I've tried testing with a meter but the holes in the sockets are too small to access.

This is the model:

Attached Thumbnails DVD Player Pin-outs-dvd-player.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 AM

Thanks QinteQ. I tried disconnecting the neg battery for 15 minutes plus several times on both my Voyagers. No effect.

That example you found could be helpful. Ive already stripped the unit down as far as I could without needing watchmakers tools and an eyeglass I've seperated the changer from the controller but I still cant get to the discs to remove them. I did try turning some of the exposed gears a few times but I was afraid that I might knock them out of sync so I didn't pursue that idea too far. I was hoping that if I could apply 12 volts to it while it's opened up on the bench, I might be able to see what's whirring and what isn't.

Now I see that somebody else sorted their's I'll have another go at it today.

Alan

Old 05-19-2015, 03:49 AM

I just found this unit which is similar, but not identical, to mine: Chrysler-Delphi Six-Disc CD changers: swaps and fixes
However, the autochanger mechanism does look identical and the article explains how to operate the gears manually and hopefully eject the trapped DVD's.
Edit: The label on this unit has a couple of interesting features. First, there’s a pinout diagram of the interface connector on the back.
Haha, I didn't even spot that

Last edited by AlanC; 05-19-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Good at least you are getting a 'pinout', the Delphi's are OEM and have been around for about a decade in different revisions. The Delphi 6 is the one in my GV mate, I'm sure they were fitted in most top-end GV's sold all over the world in 5/6 platter versions from 02 up to the advent of the double din sat-nav radio's around late 07. Hopefully it will be mechanical and a hard reset & eject not an uneconomic Logic Circuit. You know they are [instruction] coded to the cars puter and a complete divorce, ie pulling out all connectors and antenna for 10 minutes or so - then reconnect to the car should force a 'hard reset' when it tries to find its instructions from the puter !, although knowing how flaky the Chrysler instruction sets are I wouldn't guarantee it.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:27 PM

Unfortunately I discovered that my DVD autochanger is beyond economical repair. Two of the teeth have been stripped off one of the nylon gears. I suspect when re-connecting the battery the autochanger can try to eject multiple discs, this results in the mechanism jamming and stripping teeth from the gears.

It's probably a good tip for all Voyager owners fitted with autochangers to always eject the discs before disconnecting the battery.

Attached Thumbnails DVD Player Pin-outs-dscf5209-r.jpg   DVD Player Pin-outs-dscf5211-r.jpg  
Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 PM

Sorry to hear that, I've never seen one with the Y-Pr-Pb connections on a GV. See if you can find a replacement wheel near enough the right gear diameter or larger and file it down with needle files. Alternately a small friendly back street type repair place probably has hundreds of wheels if you ask nice. best of luck mate.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM

I would need to dismantle a lot of the intricate ejection mechanism to get to the damaged gear and to be honest, I doubt that I could re-assemble it all correctly.
I do however have a couple of options. Because my DVD autochanger has auxillary inputs I can connect a media player or a stand-alone DVD player to the in-car unit which will enable me to play video/music through the overhead screen and the car sound system or wireless headphones.

In fact I'm tempted to upgrade the puny overhead screen with one of these: 12" HD Flip Drop Down Monitor Camper Van Car 2CH AV In IR For DVD Player Display | eBay