Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Default Abs

Hi got problem with the ABS, I had to brake hard the other day,the ABS kick in,Since then the ABS dosent work,I now have the ABS light and Track off lights lit on the dash, Am at a lost what to do, anyone help?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Its usually one of the x4 wheel sensors

- but could be dirty phonic / tone rings on drive shafts
- or the magnetic pickup shown above, usually you will not see damage to the black plastic coated sensor shown below

The thing is your description of braking hard being the cause does not fit unless the securing bolt in the wheel sensor itself was loose causing the damage. You really need to find and test the particular sensor to see if it works. Do you know anyone with a diagnostic scanner capable of reading ABS on your year Chrysler ?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 PM

Like QinteQ says if ABS light comes up its the sensors, but after ABS doing its job on a hard stop it holds the ABS light on. So whats the answer here, does system need a hard reset, be interesting to see what happens. Or has ABS system woke up after working, saying to itself, I've not been working properly, tests itself and concludes, one sensor slightly out on return voltage, so lets apply the light...

Old 12-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Driving on wet roads can cause the ABS and Traction Control indications. They can go off again all by themselves when the weather dries out.

This isn't a technical diagnosis, just a coincidental fact.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Like QinteQ says if ABS light comes up its the sensors, but after ABS doing its job on a hard stop it holds the ABS light on. So whats the answer here, does system need a hard reset, be interesting to see what happens. Or has ABS system woke up after working, saying to itself, I've not been working properly, tests itself and concludes, one sensor slightly out on return voltage, so lets apply the light...
Thanx all. I do know the ABS was working before this hard brake happened,Just that this time the lights come on. I will try and dry and clean round the sensors etc aand see wot happens.

How do i do a hard reset?

Last edited by BillT; 12-30-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 PM

The light[s] as both Goggy & AlC say can / may continue for sometime afterwards until the 'x' many known to be good diagnostic start-ups are re-registered. A re-boot of the puter in my view never does harm - only ever good. [radio code dependant]

Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Pull the NEG battery cable for 15 minutes, drink coffee, put it back on after cleaning terminal and a smear of the wifes lip balm Vaseline. Depending on the year of the car.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:58 AM
tfb

If you cant get the fault codes read then the first stage would be to use a multimeter to read the resistance of all four sensors. Follow the wires up from the sensor and find it's plug, disconnect it and read the resistance across the pins to the the sensor. All readings should be the same, if one is different then replace that sensor.
If all the readings are within a a few ohms of each other then take a small wire brush to the toothed rings that the abs sensors use to detect the wheel speed.

Beyond that there is not much that you can do without having the codes read.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 AM

Well Thanx guys. I will have ago when the weather improves unless i can find a kind persons garage, Thax again

Old 01-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Tried the Hard reset today, but no joy, So Meter ready, try tomorrow if the weather here allows.,

Quick Reply: Abs