Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

AC blowing out hot air 2010 town and country

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Default AC blowing out hot air 2010 town and country

Group, I have tried to search this forum for my specific issue but could not find an answer. This all started on a vaction trip (~14 hr drive). I have a 2010 Town and Country (4.0L Limited). Initially at the start of the trip we found out that the rear AC did not work, just blew out hot air. The front worked so we just dealt with frozen feet up front to cool down the back (3 kids and 3 dogs tend to generate a lot of heat). We tried to look online while we were driving and from what we could see there were issues with rear condensors leaking and they stated to add freon. At a truck stop we purchased a kit (keep in mind one without a guage) and I added some. Once I did thay the front AC stopped working (blowing out hot air). We also smelt a brake burning-ish smell. Needless to say we just shut off the the AC for the remainder of the trip. Once we reached our destination after having the windows down the entire time I stoped to an Auto parts store and asked them. They stated it was probably low so I bought another kit. I bought a high quality one this time with a guage. They stated how it worked and when I initially hooked it up the guage stated it was overfilled. Went in and told them, took it to garage and had them reduce the pressure to the safe level (confirmed by the kit I have, in the green zone based on the outside temp). I did not have them look at it any further since it would have cost me more money and they did not have anything for fixing Chrysler vehicals and I am a do-it-yourselfer if you could not tell by now. Now with this I have verified the intial kit I bought was not needed and it ended up costing me extra money. Second that I do not have a leak. When I look at the compressor the pulley seems to "wobble" but when you turn on the AC the clutch does engage. The smell we were smelling might have been the clutch due to the high pressure. I have seen some posts on the interweb about the expansion valve and such. Any help would be great on what might be my issue or how to test the expansion valve (if that is it). I would hate to have to take it to the dealership since I know they will most likely just replace lots of things and are expensive.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM

bump??

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

do u have any experience dealer with an ac system and its works? if not I would advise not to mess with stuff U could easy blow something up or go blind from the fluid.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM

It also could be over charged.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

not likey its a 2010

Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM

I only made that statement because they had added more charge to it. I know that I have done it in the pass with the r134. Charged it to the max. And as temps rise it would not cool.