Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

advice wanted please re knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 AM
Default advice wanted please re knocking

Hi all i havent posted for a while so hope you dont mind me asking x i ave an 04 2.5td anniversary edition voyager all has been fantastic with this in the few years i have had it until i took for its mot had a few advisories and a failure on a wishbone passenger side front? this was replaced january 16th and 3 weeks ago as i was driving home from work i heard a knocking i took it back to the guy and he said engine mount needed replacing which was done but noise still there especially if i go over rough piece of road or a speed hump, hubby had a look and he noticed that the new wishbone arm had writing on it like they do from a scrappy now it was meant to be new. i contacted the garage again and they now seem fully booked to see my car even though i have used them for years, i also mentioned is it a 2nd hand part and he was really snappy, just at a loss now as to what it could be, ive driven 300 miles since the mot any advice would be greatly received many tia x

Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 AM

As too knocking I'll go Anti-roll bar bushes and drop links. These aren't that dear with bushes about £20 a pair at most and links £40 the pair. Time for job would be quite low of about one hour for total job. Say less than £100 for the job...I may have been a reconditioned wishbone/control arm that they fitted cos you can buy the two bushes and ball joint and fit with a cheap press.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:53 AM

ty for that Goggs. do they just go? or should they have been picked up on the mot?

Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Do they just go, well for rubbers and links you'd need to be deaf to not hear them. For the wishbones/control arms MOT would find them first.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:06 AM
kkc

check for loose nuts on suspension related components. these should be retightened every few years and are often ignored.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM

ok my links and bar bushings have been replaced but still getting the knocking and also my son in law noticed when i start car and put into gear and just let clutch out a little the affected side tyre shook. also when you push down on the suspension its creaking like crazy. my bushngs need need replacing there was no movement in the bar but we could see daylight through them.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 AM
kkc

can you post some audio of the sounds?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Any answer to this Princess.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:10 AM

my apologies i didnt know i had a responce x i had a customer come in to my shop last week and he mentioned he was a mechanic so i got him to look at my car free of charge of course anyways he had me turn wheel quickly etc and diagnosed tie rod end, so we bought it and booked it in with the original mechanic and he called and said that wasnt my noise but he could fit it anyways if i wanted but he was sure it wasnt, so apparently my suspension top bushing had smashd through, so he replaced it and no more noise, i did ask why it wasnt picked up on recent mot and he said well it was an advisory on the previous 2 but no advisory on this one as each garage check for different things on the day?? anyways up to now no knocking but now im hearing little clunking noises when i turn my steering wheel, i love this car so much and i have had a few grand voyagers before this but up to now its been a dream and goes so much faster than my hubbys voyager on acceleration