Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light - seatbelt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:06 AM

Spot on, you're a gent. See you then (be about 5pm when I've escaped from work if thats ok?)

Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Spot on, you're a gent. See you then (be about 5pm when I've escaped from work if thats ok?)
I leave @ 6:15pm Andy lad. and you are more than welcome.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:24 PM

3.2 AIRBAG SYSTEM/OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER SYSTEM AND OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM

The Airbag System contains the following components: Occupant Restraint controller (ORC), Airbag Warning Indicator, Clockspring, Driver and Passenger dual squib Airbags, Driver and Passenger Seat belt Tensioner (SBT), Driver and Passenger Hall-effect Seat Belt Buckle Switches (SBS), Left and Right Side Curtain Airbags, and Front and Side Impact Sensors. The ORC also monitors the Occupant Classification System (OCS) for the presence of a passenger in the front outer seat.

The Occupant Classification System contains the following components: Occupant Classification Module (OCM), Bladder and Sensor, Belt Tension Sensor, and Passenger Airbag off Indicator. The Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) supports staged airbag deployment and remote impact sensing. Staged deployment is the ability to trigger airbag system squib inflators individually as needed to provide the appropriate restraint for the severity of the impact. The ORC has four major functions: PCI Bus communications, onboard diagnostics, impact sensing, and component deployment. The ORC also contains an energy-storage capacitor. This capacitor stores enough electrical energy to deploy the front airbag components for two seconds following a battery disconnect or failure during an impact. The ORC is secured to the floor panel transmission tunnel below the instrument panel inside the vehicle. The ORC cannot be repaired or adjusted. The ORC sends and/or receives PCI Bus messages with the Instrument Cluster (MIC), Body Control Module (BCM), and Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Diagnostic trouble codes will be set if the communication with these modules is lost or contains invalid information.

The microprocessor in the ORC monitors the front impact sensor signals and the airbag system electrical circuits to determine the system readiness. If the ORC detects a monitored system fault, it sends a message to the nstrument cluster via PCI bus to turn on the Airbag Warning Indicator. The ORC can set both active and stored diagnostic trouble codes to aid in diagnosing system problems. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES in this section. The ORC uses an internal accelerometer, twofront sensors and six side impact sensors, to sense the rate of vehicle deceleration and provide verification of the direction and severity of an impact. A pre-programmed decision algorithm in the ORC microprocessor determines when the deceleration rate is severe enough to require airbag system protection. The ORC also uses the driver and passenger seat belt switch status (buckled or unbuckled) to determine the level of driver airbag deployment, low medium or high. When the programmed conditions are met, the ORC sends an electrical signal to deploy the appropriate airbag system components.

3.2.4 SEAT BELT TENSIONER (SBT)

The driver and passenger seat belt (buckle) tensioners are mounted to the inboard side of the front seats. The seat belt buckle and seat belt switch are connected directly to the seat belt tensioner cable. At the onset of an impact event the ORC uses the seat belt tensioner to rapidly retract the seat belt buckles. With the slack removed, the occupant’s forward motion in an impact will be reduced as will the likelihood of contacting interior components. The seat belt tensioner cannot be repaired, if damaged or defective it must be replaced. The ORC continously monitors the resistance of the seat belt tensioner circuits for open and shorted conditions.

3.2.5 SEAT BELT SWITCHES (SBS)

The hall-effect driver and passenger seat belt switches provide the seat belt status, buckled or unbuckled, via hardwired inputs to the ORC. If the seat belt switch is damaged or defective the seat belt tensioner must be replaced. The ORC continuously monitors the seat belt switch circuits for open and shorted conditions.

Search the 2005-RG-Body.pdf workshop manual for occurrences of "SEAT BELT TENSIONER" if you mess with the Seat Belt Tensioner connector or circuits make sure you have disconnected the battery for 15 minutes before you begin. All the ACM tests are about a quarter into the pdf Andy. Connector pinouts are near the end.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:29 AM

As far as I'm aware our GV's use the ball bearing bullets system which is just a bit of bent pipe filled with ball bearings, a gas is exploded forcing the ball bearings down the pipe as in the above graphic which winds the seat belt tight.

- tfb have you had a pre-tensioner in bits ?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:54 AM

You sir are an absolute gent, thank you once again for doing the diagnostics and for your spot on help, appreciate that.

Planning on this weekend having a quiet tinker, just to get access to the right parts and have a look around, figure what parts I'm needing, etc.
As I do I'll take photos and post them up so in future we've got them documented.

Cheers,
Andy

Old 06-12-2015, 06:04 AM

Andy,

I still think its our favourite Chrysler wiring issues rather than for example parts and that its pre-tensioner circuit rather than clock-spring and in any case the pre-tensioner should be eliminated first from the menu of possibilities. BTW all the info including the test [ing] of the various parts is in that specific pdf I referred you to, including the clock-spring in the unlikely event you do need to go there.

You shouldn't in diagnostic terms need parts, I've never heard of a black tube pellet going [except a car accident] on any car ever and if ever it did I'm sure you could get one from a scrappy. I always go wiring wiring wiring. Best of luck - if you mess - and you will - with wiring and create codes you know where I will be on Wed, and please do read that blummin pdf before you mess with exploding bags / belts - !

The black tube on the youtube :

Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 AM
tfb

not yet played with a pre-tensioner...had lots of fun blowing up airbags though

Regards
Richard

Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
not yet played with a pre-tensioner...had lots of fun blowing up airbags though

Regards
Richard
I've never managed by accident or intent, I'm even more afraid of airbags than I am of any my ex wives - I'm absolutely terrified of the 'sodddin things. Thanks for your input Richie.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:37 PM

Thanks again chaps.

I had a few mins sat in the car earlier on, so had a look, and I've at least spotted the pre tensioner in my model, looks like it is on the driver seat. The image below is what I found underneath the seat, and that's the explosive tube, so looking like rather than the ball bearing method I'm suspecting it's this one, so that's going to be my first place to test/check.
(Thinking again, my car was in the garage getting work done and they'd moved the driver seat. So that further gives weight to the theory of dodgy wiring/cable/connector)

And comparing that with a listing I found on ebay, it matches the mechanics I can see:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrysler-V...item2c872e1154

So I've got somewhere to start, hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow whilst mrs is at work and kids are out and I'll take a closer look at connectors, etc. (Have also read up on safety on these things, 15 minutes with ignition off, etc to be safe) See if it has indeed blown, or if it's just a bad connection somewhere causing it to error.

Will take more pics and document as I go along.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM

If that's what's underneath my seat I think I'd rather have Mice...I'll even feed them...

Quick Reply: Airbag light - seatbelt?