Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Anybody happy with there Grand Voyager ??

Old 06-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Default Anybody happy with there Grand Voyager ??

Good evening, i had a GV about 4 years ago it was o a S plate and the Turbo intercooler went at around 60000. After a disscussion with the wife we decided to get rid after much thought. We are now looking for another MPV as the familly hits 3 children. There are only 3 that we could use Citroen C8, Renault Grand Espace or the Grand Voyager. I would plum for the Voyager every time but i need to convince the wife. Have they updated the engine recently as the rest of the car is perfect. HELP Please!!
Thanks Wayne

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 AM

I'm no expert, but we had a 1998 GV 3.3L Petrol auto with 140,000 miles which just kept on and on going. We did around 30,000 miles in it over 3 years, took it to France a few times, and all we ever did was put tyres on it.
We then decided to get a newer model, 2003 2.5 CRD diesel and have since had endless problems. As soon as one thing is fixed something else goes wrong. Have spent a fortune on it. Wish we'd kept our old faithful.
Could just be luck of the draw or a bad buy on our half, but I'm torn both ways with these now.
Don't think you can beat them on space and comfort though?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 AM

I've had a GV (2001 3.3 Ltd) for just over 3 years and have done about 30k in it, its now on 105k, and all Ive had to replace so far is the drivers door window motor , a/c condenser (holed by a stone) and the gearbox (ouch) . Apart from the gearbox which was a early weakness (planetary gear) which you shouldn't get if you buy a later model (2003 onwards) i am really happy with it , it just keeps on going . The interior although not up to the usual european spec , its got a lot of hard plastic and old style dash lighting, is very hard wearing and very comfortable . The body doesn't pick up so many parking dings either which I put down to thicker metal on the panels. As for the engine it requires servicing a bit more often (7-8k oil changes) but is very reliable in my experience . I have had it converted to lpg (£15-1800) so running costs are not what you would expect from a 3.3 v6 ( i am currently paying about 53p per litre) financially it equates to about 38 to the gallon .

Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Default Chrysler T&C versus 807/C8/Ulysee/Zeta

I have a 2002 Town & Country with now 120kms on the clock. Prior to that, we had a FIAT Ulysee (same as Peugoet 807, Citroen C8, Lancia Zeta) so can compare the different brands on reliability and ergonomics.

Space-wise - cannot compete with the Chrysler. Far superior for our 3 kids & 2 dogs and various long journeys with snowboards & bikes as well - NOTE: all inside the car!! Plus we managed a house removal with this vehicle - several trips - but saved a packet.

However, from a reliability standpoint - Chrysler is not good. Have had endless problems with the Air Conditioning (off the road for weeks at a time). In the last 2 years (from 85k to 120k) have had to replace the steering rack, jammed ignition, entire front suspension and sway bars and also the automatic gearbock (ouch!) which completely stripped at 120k ... My only thought now, having spent several thousand euros on repairs this year alone, is to get rid of the car and move to something more dependable that does not cost 1000 euros every time it goes into a garage - like our experience with the FIAT.

With the FIAT ,the only items replaced were tyres, brakes and a seatbelt - chewed by one of the dogs. Engine responsiveness, fuel economy and driving comfort were better than the Chysler. All it lacked was about 10 cms of width and about 50 cms of length to be ideal.

Our family was still the same size with the smaller FIAT - but we still managed to do much the same journeys. On balance, the price / reliability premium against the Chrysler is not merited.

Who said that size matters ??