Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Amp Feature + Upgrading Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Default Audio Amp Feature + Upgrading Speakers?

I was reading the Service manual and in one spot it lists the audio components as
²
Amplifier

²
Antenna

²
CD changer (if equipped)

²
DVD player (if equipped)

²
Radio noise suppression components

²
Radio receiver

²
Speakers

² Video screen (if equipped)
Then later in the section it states that a amplifier may or may not be included, I did not see one behind the R rear trim panel as listed, I do have the rear HVAC unit and the diagram did not show the rear HVAC in figure could the amp be in a different location due to rear HVAC unit?
I do have the 30 amp fuse in IPM for central amplifier I assume that is audio amplifier?
The second part of this is I read if teh vehicle does not have name brand speakers it is set with the DRBIII tool, Is that basically to program in a specific EQ curve or does that some how limit the wattage sent from the system? If I were to replace my speakers with let say Kicker or some high end speakers will they work ok just plug and play or will I need to figure out the proper EQ curve and have it programmed with the DRBIII unit?
Currently the system sounds fair/poor compared to what I normally like and I would like to improve the quality a little especially in the lower end from listening I would say from 500Hz-80Hz seems really weak to me compared to custom systems I have built before but I do not want create a huge problem like I did by assuming I could add the EVIC and it would communicate fine.
As mentioned this is a vehicle I ride in but is not my primary vehicle.
What I don't understand is this vehicle has the 6 Disc DVD/CD changer Overhead Video Screens and I read is the Premium version But has the RAZ Radio which in the owners manual lists it as a CD changer controller only and in teh Service manual does not even mention a CD controller at all so if it has a Premium version CD/DVD changer why does it have the base model radio, Non namebrand speakers and as far as I can tell no amplifier? Could the overhead rail system and DVD items have been added after vehicle was sold ? I guess that could explain part of teh system being Premium and the other being a base version.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM

IF you don't see an AMP in the back, then the speakers are individually amped. Pull the big ones out and you will see a half moon shaped blob attached to them around one side of the speaker magnet. The little pillar speakers are not like those. They speak in general terms in these year model vans. The only hint they provide is >>>

Just an example
Check the amplifier fuse (if equipped) in the junction block.
is really the only thing that clues you in. That and the picture they show of the speaker then I knew exactly what the deal was. Yeah I know pretty vague. The older ones 96-00 the manuals went into detail about the different systems though.