Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery issue or ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Default battery issue or ignition switch?

We have a 2001 T & C and the past few weeks it has been have an intermittent problem where it won;t start when the key is turned. After trying it a few times it starts with no issue. When this happens there are no sounds like the starter trying to move or the battery not having the juice to crank it is just silent. Is this a battery issue or a possible ignition switch issue?

When we looked at the batter there is a green powder by one of the posts. The battery is from January of 2007 and is an Interstate
MEGA-TRON - 75 MONTHS - 700 CCA

If it is a possible ignition switch issue, does anyone have a ballpark of what it might cost to replace?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Hudd,

My personal opinion is that it's an ignition switch issue. I have seen issues where a battery connection causes strange issue. Once, I had lights, radio, everything, but when you kicked the key over, nothing happened. Opened the hood, tightened the connectors and it started right up. Completely illogical, but it did fix it.

Having said that, when I've seen those problems, they don't go away from just continually trying the key. A more likely scenario is a worn out ignition switch. I'm not sure on your particular model, but it may also have one of these electronic theft devices embedded in the key. (Earlier models had issues...not Chrysler particularly, just that technology)

I have an AllData subscription for a 1996 T&C and it lists the ignition switch as costing $26. Rockauto.com has it for $31. Before I replaced it, I'd do a little more troubleshooting though.

Next time it's not starting, wiggle the cables on the battery and see if it fixes the problem. If not, I'd research whether or not your vehicle has an antitheft device embedded in the key. If not, I'd really look into replacing the ignition switch. (And just so you know, on the 1996 model, there is the key lock cylinder portion, but it's connected to an electronic component that they are actually calling the ignition switch. It could be either of these.) Good luck.

Mark