Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body control unit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Default Body control unit replacement

Hi, I have a 2002 Voyager with a faulty body control unit. The dash is totally dead and the indicators don't work.
Chrysler no longer produce the unit and I don't want to scrap the car but it can't pass MOT with no working indicators or dash lights.
Can I buy a second hand unit to fit to the car? Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM
tfb

you could try sending it to BBA-reman BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters Thev'ye sorted out modules for me in the past. Not the cheapest, but they are good.

Are you sure it's the BCM and not the IPM?

Regards
Richard

Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 AM

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply. I've phoned them already and gave them the part number. They say the computer in my car can't be repaired. If it was 6 months older with the older unit then they'd be able to.
My only option is to buy a second hand unit but I don't know if it will work and I don't really want to waste money buying it unless someone on here has experience to say if it can work or not.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 AM

Just read your post again. What does the IPM do? I spoke to BBA and they said it's likely the body computer due to both the symptoms and the fact it all died after I jump started the car. I've searched high and low for a wiring diagram so I could trace the wiring but can't find anything. Every wire on the instrument cluster is either dead or has earth (I assume signals for the dials)

Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM

The IPM [integrated power module] is the power distribution box box near the battery with all the fuses & relays in it, inside the lid is a pictorial representation of each fuse & its value & location. It is variously blamed [with good reason] for :

- trouble starting the vehicle
- stalling & LIMP mode
- headlights going out
- fuel pump not shutting off
- random alarm / horn windshield wiper issues

Your starting point would be to pull the NEG cable off the battery - wait 15 minutes - replace the NEG terminal - and start the car - what's happening now ?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Hi QinteQ and thanks for your reply,

I have disconnected the battery overnight and still have the same issues. The indicators do nothing and the entire dash and upper level warning lights are all dead. The engine starts ok and doesn't cut out and the other lights and wipers work fine.
The alarm does go off on its own which I've tracked to a power drain caused by the ignition barrel. The button that detects the key not removed from the barrel is stuck and is causing a relay in the IPM to stay on. The alarm only goes off when the power in the battery gets very low. This should be an easy fix but I'm more concerned about the dash for now.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:01 AM
tfb

circuit diagrams can be found here, they are for a 2007 but most should be the same

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web

Regards
Richard