Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fade problem at idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Brake fade problem at idle speed

Ok I give in I will take my 2001 town and country LX 3.8 to the dealer to have a professional brake bleed done. I took out the master cylinder again bench bled it and re-bled the brakes all 4 and no luck. I am hoping th dealer will flush out anything cloging they system. I will look for a check vavle. I notice today that in park if I hit the brakepedal and release my foot but not all the way off then reapplythe brake after 4 times of doing this it goes to the floor as in drive at idle. This all started after I replaced the front pads last month and 4 days later this.I also heard when changing the pads that befroe I pushthe psitons back I have to relase the bleder screw for the caliper is this true?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
moe

you don't need to release the bleeder at all.sometimes the pads can fall off the guides.pull tha wheel and check it.i don't think the dealer is going to do anything different that you guys are.wish i was there where ever you are i would gladly give you a hand! ")

Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
moe

hey brother, does your car have a check valve like this #1. if it does start the car, and shut it off, and then pull this out and see if its holding vac.should hiss when you pop it off.moe

Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM

ORIGINAL: karayj

Ok I give in I will take my 2001 town and country LX 3.8 to the dealer to have a professional brake bleed done. I took out the master cylinder again bench bled it and re-bled the brakes all 4 and no luck. I am hoping th dealer will flush out anything cloging they system. I will look for a check vavle. I notice today that in park if I hit the brakepedal and release my foot but not all the way off then reapplythe brake after 4 times of doing this it goes to the floor as in drive at idle. This all started after I replaced the front pads last month and 4 days later this.I also heard when changing the pads that befroe I pushthe psitons back I have to relase the bleder screw for the caliper is this true?
you have ABS brakes.
most likely, your car needs special procedure for bleeding the air out of the ABS system anytime you take off master cylinder or ABS pump.

now that you said that problem started after installing new pads, I'm even more convinced that all you need (after bleeding ABS) is cleaning of brake pistons and calipers.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Well Moe I thank you and wonder for all your help I am located in Franklin, MA
I did not remove the check vavle for the drum forgot to do that. I took the car to the dealer 1 st time in my life and not happy about it.
86.00 diag fee and 60.00 for the bleed . They said they want to dag the system before the pressure bleed it.
I know what will happen next, they will call me with a list of things that need to be changed costing me 700.00+ and I will say no and still have to pay the 86.00 and be back at square 1.
I told them what I have changed so maybe they wont I am just hoping the pressure bleed fixes it.
Is it true I was told that when replacing pads you must release the bleeder vavle and then push back the piston if not it will clog the master cylinder casuing this whole problem.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM

moe allready told you.
when installing new brake pads, you do NOT have to release bleeder valve. I see no point in that and that won't do you any good.

I would not recomend that you yourself do the work on the brakes. It's not nuclear science, but it's not simple either.
just to tell you that if you dont change master cylinder or ABS pump, there are no special works needed. only normal bleeding proces if it's a job on calipers only.