Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

brake lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Default brake lights staying on

my wife was driving the other day and all of a sudden when she braked the pedal went to the floor, she managed to get home because the brakes were still working just very low pedal , i changed the booster and the master cylinder and that cured that problem, actually the brakes feel better than they ever did and actually feel like they are stopping the car with less pressure , the problem is that the brake light wont go off, i checked the switch and it seems to be ok , all the wiring looks like its intact too , the only way to turn it off is by removing the fuse , but the brake lights are on when the car is running , even without the fuse in, im stumped

Old 03-09-2023, 07:38 AM

with research i found that the circuit for the brake lights is always on but is interrupted by the brake light switch , when i press the pedal the switch completes the circuit to the brake lights and they come on, so that means that somehow the switch is being left out of the circuit altogether and the lights stay on , how do i find where the problem is , is seems like a simple circuit

Old 03-09-2023, 05:36 PM

anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-09-2023, 05:38 PM

one other thing , if i put it in park with the engine on , the safety lock wont allow me to go back into drive unless i shut the engine off and restart , again pointing at the brake light switch , but i changed it and no difference

Old 03-10-2023, 05:41 AM

is there a way to test the brake light switch , even though i changed it , its possible that the new one i bought is faulty too, unlikely but its the only thing i can think of

Old 03-10-2023, 07:42 AM

so i think i have the solution , just guessing atm but i will check it later, i just watched a youtube video on installing a brake light switch, but first when i went to autozone to replace the switch , i checked when they bought it out and it looked identical ,so i assumed it was good, when i searched for the switch it looked to me like the plunger was longer , so thats why i started looking at you tube , it turns out that the brake like switch is a one time use only ,because the plunger is self adjusting ,it starts out long but when you install it it becomes the correct length , the one i got from autozone was the same size as mine (which would probably have tested to be ok ) but the pedal height has now changed , so they gave me a used one , i took it back and i am going to get the replacement tonight , i'm pretty sure this will fix the issue , i will post one way or the other so that anyone else with the same problem might find an answer

Old 03-10-2023, 06:28 PM

yep that was it

Old 03-10-2023, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

iv seen that before some one installs it brings it back and now its your prob to deal with.