Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pedal to floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Default brake pedal to floor

Hi everyone,newbie to forum.just looking for advice,i just bought a 99 2.0i SE voyager and the brakes were shocking,the pedal went straight to floor and engine was surging..dying at lights etc.So,i changed front pads and rotors,rear shoes,still same symptoms,so i bled all brake lines as advised...rear pass,drivers rear,front pass and drivers front...still same symptoms....no air and new fluid coming through all lines....any ideas would be appreciated

Old 03-26-2014, 11:10 AM

I'd be interested how much you paid for this 15y/o vehicle which couldn't have an MOT with that brake fault.

Leedsman..

Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 PM
tfb

If the brake pedal is going straight to the floor, with no resistance then it means either the brake fluid is leaking out somewhere or the fluid is going past the seals on the piston in the master cylinder or there is still air in the system or the braking system has not been reassembled properly.

Regards
Richard

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
If the brake pedal is going straight to the floor, with no resistance then it means either the brake fluid is leaking out somewhere or the fluid is going past the seals on the piston in the master cylinder or there is still air in the system or the braking system has not been reassembled properly.

Regards
Richard

I had a similar problem on my 2004 crd. It turned out to be the ABS module by-passing. Located underneath the vehicle. Not all vehicles have ABS. just a thought.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:40 AM

Yeah I've just replaced some of the brake lines on my 98 , everything has been fine for 3 or 4 days but this morning my pedal has suddenly began going to the floor. Not all the time just when braking a little harder than normal. However, when back at home without the engine running, the pedal feels fine and it doesn't lose pressure. So will have to check out that ABS module.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 AM

I think TFB you have hit the nail on the head i also think its the master cylinder.. ive seen this happen before

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM

The master cylinder is separate from the abs module. When I had the same problem, I assumed it was the master cylinder and renewed it at a cost od £225, but no joy. ABS module located from ebay at £87 sorted it.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM

It could be ether one id go for the cheapest option first

Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 AM

To begin with my issue appeared to fix itself, however, I thought it prudent to do a pressure test on my master cylinder over the weekend and it was fine.

Its quite simple if you want to try it yourself. All you need is a set of bathroom scales and a piece of wood.

First with the engine turned off pump the pedal until you have relieved the servo of any residual vacuum.

Run your drivers seat back then measure between the seat cushion and pedal; cut the piece of wood about 3 or 4 inches short of your measurement . Now place the scales vertical against the seat cushion then place the piece of wood on the pedal and move your seat forward until it puts pressure on the scales. I like to take it to about 30Ibs, not sure what that is in KG. Now you will see a slight drop as the cushion compresses but if you leave it for 5 minutes to settle, the weight should stabilise. Now leave this for about 20 to 30 minutes and when you return the scales should be reading about the same. A pound here or there is okay but more than that then you may have either a leak or the seals in the master cylinder are worn.

Now on my return I had no drop in pressure so that ruled out the master cylinder. I also had re-bled the entire system just to ensure there wasn't any air remaining.

So that leaves the ABS module. There's plenty on eBay but I need to find the part number because I've seen several different units advertised and although they all look the same there were varying part numbers.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM
tfb

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
To begin with my issue appeared to fix itself, however, I thought it prudent to do a pressure test on my master cylinder over the weekend and it was fine.

Its quite simple if you want to try it yourself. All you need is a set of bathroom scales and a piece of wood.

First with the engine turned off pump the pedal until you have relieved the servo of any residual vacuum.

Run your drivers seat back then measure between the seat cushion and pedal; cut the piece of wood about 3 or 4 inches short of your measurement . Now place the scales vertical against the seat cushion then place the piece of wood on the pedal and move your seat forward until it puts pressure on the scales. I like to take it to about 30Ibs, not sure what that is in KG. Now you will see a slight drop as the cushion compresses but if you leave it for 5 minutes to settle, the weight should stabilise. Now leave this for about 20 to 30 minutes and when you return the scales should be reading about the same. A pound here or there is okay but more than that then you may have either a leak or the seals in the master cylinder are worn.

Now on my return I had no drop in pressure so that ruled out the master cylinder. I also had re-bled the entire system just to ensure there wasn't any air remaining.

So that leaves the ABS module. There's plenty on eBay but I need to find the part number because I've seen several different units advertised and although they all look the same there were varying part numbers.
nice way of testing there

Regards
Richard