Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

central locking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Default central locking

hello,central locking has stopped working,but i guess i wont need to tell u that the fob dont work,or that the interior switches dont work either,or that i checked the battery in the fob,or that the indicator flashes and alarm works.seems to be a common problem from 04 onwards

1 month before i bought the car i have a receipt for the central locking diagnostics,and repair ,2 months on back to same problem,so what could it be as most people point to the bcm checked the fuse in engine bay
the reciept dont say what work was done,but the drivers door card has been of.

also my aircon clutch is kicking in and out which from earlier post i sais aircon clutch is kicking in and out aswell.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Disconnect the positive battery terminal for 30 seconds and reconnect. You should then find the central locking works again. This procedure seems to reset the BCM.

I think there is a software update for the BCM to fix this issue. I just live with it and reset it as necessary, as it usually only happens every couple of months. Sometimes it seems to happen at random, other times it seems to be caused by pressing the unlock/lock button on the keyfob too many times in secession. (Like when the keys are in the rear pocket of your jeans and you bend over, thus depressing all the buttons).

Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 AM

k thanks will give that a try

Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 AM

took + of for aroun 30-45 secs,connected it . nothing from centrallocking,but alarm light illuminated on dash,turned ignition on indicators gave 2 flashes,but still nothing from fob or incar controlls.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Is this a 1984 model or a 2011 model or somewhere in between?

Old 10-22-2011, 05:44 PM

54 plate lmited xs 2.8 crd

Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Default central locking

Have this same problem, found this on the internet.

remove IOD fuse for 10 secs, then reinsert.
Hold central locking switch up/down then insert key in ignition and turn on while holding the central locking switch. red light comes on and the heater will reset itself, then release the central locking sw ( on the door).

works every time but have to do it ever couple of weeks

Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Just to add a 'me too' to this. 2.8crd 54 plate, UK Grand Voyager.

No connection to when and why it does it, but the IOD fuse and a few minutes (this also varies, so if it doesn't work first time, leave the fuse out for another minute or two) and it'll come back working.

REALLY stuck as to how to fix this though. Battery condition is fine, terminals, earth, etc, all seem fine. No common reason why or when it fails, it just seems to fail, and doesn't cause any other functions to fail either.

Would really love somebody to figure this out or answer why this happens!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Pulling the IOD fuse resets the Body Control Module (BCM). It is a microprocessor that integrates much of the electronics on the van and is the data bus controller. The BCM controls most of the electrical accessories and can include the door lock depending on the model year, which I still don't know. "54 plate blah blah" tells me nothing. Knowing the model year will let me know which wiring diagram to look up.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Hi,
Yep I realised its within the BCM and a power off/on is resetting it, which makes sense from what it seems to be doing. It does appear to be a software 'fail' that then needs reset to recover.
On finding the model year, on the drivers side door, I found the MFR build sticker, which i assume gives you the information you'd need? (If not please advise on how/where to find this)
On the sticker it shows:

DATE OF MFR (BUILT): 8-04
MDH: 082414
Which to me indicates it is the 2004 model, which would make sense since the car was registered in the second half of 2004.

I also have the VIN but can provide that on PM if that would help locate it?

Quick Reply: central locking