Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking and Drivers Door Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Arrow Central Locking and Drivers Door Weirdness

2000 Chrysler Voyager (Australia)

We inherited the above vehicle with a business we took over.

Its been made in to the "work van" thanks to taking all the rear seats out and a nice rubberized sheet of ply in the back as a tray.

Sadly its been fairly well abused by the previous owners as witnessed by the bumps / scrapes to the body work and oddities inside like missing light covers and under seat drawers. And she's got some real "character" in the electrical system :

* Door open warning light (and interior lights) some on / off / on / off all the time. I've tried cleaning the contact on the sliding doors and this works for a short while. Is there a better permanent fix? Replace both parts of the mechanism?

* Drivers door no longer locks / unlock when using the central locking fob (symmetrical pear shaped two button remote)

* Drivers side door "central lock" button doesn't work

* The L & R rear pop-out window controls work intermittently

I've pulled apart the control cluster and the contacts are fine (tested with multimeter). Something to do with the loom?

A final one - is it possible to deactivate the auto-locking feature? Its a pain if we drive it a short distance to have it lock itself up (especially as the driver door master unlock doesn't work!)

Any DIY help would be appreciated as I'm not a huge fan of the (only) local Chrysler dealer / repair shop - expensive, slow, missed a stack of stuff I asked them to do, no courtesy vehicle etc.

Cheers, Antony.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Default Central Locking and Drivers Door Weirdness

On each sliding door there is a small switch toward the rear of the door. You can see it when you open the doors all the way. It's in the back part of the door! You can see it sticking out. It's black. Opposite of the sliding door is a piece a rubber that comes in contact with the switch when you close the door. Most likely that piece of rubber has gotten smaller in size. In other words, it shrunk and is not making enough contact with the switch to tell the system the door is shut. Use a penny and tape it to that piece of rubber. It will make the rubber appear thicker! I had the same problem with the door locks going crazy and it's now gone. Call it the one penny fix!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Red face Getting there...

Well thanks to some earlier advice I have fixed the door sensor problems.

I can live with the errant rear windows and no master lock switch on the drivers door but the fact the drivers door solenoid doesn't always pull the lock down when locking the vehicle is a pain!

All the rods seem fairly well lubed and nothing seems to be sticking. Is it just a case or replacing the (fairly integrated) door lock / solenoid mechanism? Anyone ever suppled one apart? Pointers to a good supplier would be helpful...

Cheers, Antony.