Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking - Self-resetting fuse/efuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Default Central Locking - Self-resetting fuse/efuse?

Hi all,
I posted about this a while ago, spend a lot of time working on the car since, learnt a lot but this is still causing me a headache.

Totally randomly when I come to lock or unlock the doors using the remote-control fob the lights flash and the alarm disables, but the door motors don't trigger. If I use the switch on the driver door, nothing either. So the alarm works (enables/disables, etc), just the motors don't fire (none of them do), so what I'm suspecting is a soft-fuse/efuse/thermal cut-out trips out.

I then take the battery terminal off, for about 5 minutes, put it back on and they will start working again.
After doing that, the radio doesn't loose its stations, but seems to default back to MW, volume 0, the climate-control defaults to 71oF fans on high, so its obviously doing some form of reset, but nothing else resets. (Trip computer, mpg, etc all remain).

From that description, can anyone suggest what is 'tripping' here, or where to start looking? I've checked fuses, etc, but its not a 'hard' fuse failing.

Next port of call, I'm going to take a look at the lock mechanisms in each door (starting with rear sliding doors), as my suspicions lie there and maybe a lock jamming or something, especially as whoever had the car before me, removed the little black levers that pop up/down in the sliding doors to show when the doors are locked/unlocked.

Anyone with any suggestions?