Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Check Engine Light when it rains

Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Default Check Engine Light when it rains

I have a 2001 Chrysler T&C, 3.8 engine, 117k miles. Last fall the check engine light came on, the codes pointed to an evaporative system problem. I reset the codes and replaced the gas cap. The CEL would still come on from time to time with the same codes. I started noticing that after a reset, the CEL only came back on when it rained. I think I've confirmed this as the light has been off for 2 months, but recently it has been very wet, snow melting, plus rain and the light is back on again. Does anyone have an explanation for why it comes on with evaporative system codes only when wet?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light when it rains

inorder for the system to correctly check for an evap leak the temp change must be at a set point . The system u have it wont test at extream cold when all it will do when u park the car is just get colder. U have a busted hose under the van see it all the time.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light when it rains

Regarding a leaky evap system hose...is there a common hose that leaks? I checked under the vehicle llokingat the hoses going to the carbon canisters. There are a few that look a little cracked, but I removed a short larger one (between the two canisters) and the cracking appears to be on the surface only. I followed the hose that goes back to the gas tank, but cannot see where it goes. Where does this hose connect to the tank?

I still need to check the hoses in the engine compartment.

Thanks

Ray