Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about snow handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Default Curious about snow handling

Howdy-

What a great forum! I had a quick question for those that might have some experience. I'm from Seattle and we're right in the middle of some nasty weather-we just had 4-6 inches of snow and now, we're heading in to some super cold temperatures- mid 20s for the highs! Unusual for Seattle! Anyway, what we are dealing with (mostly on side streets, but on some arterials as well) is a great deal of compacted snow that has turned to ice. Can anybody tell me their experiences driving in such conditions? Will my "brand new" 2008 T&C handle it well, or should I just forget about it!? I'm probably not going to get chains (would not need most of the time), and it's just got the standard tires. It's front wheel drive, obviously, so that's totally a good thing.

I guess I'm turning in to a bit of a chicken in my old age! But really, I don't want to hurt it! I love that thing!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel from Seattle

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: Curious about snow handling

Joel,

I can't speak from my experience on my van, as I have AWD. But I've had two other FWD cars that give me some perspective. I've driven in all sorts of snowy conditions in CO and MN. There are two main factors that determine how well a car will do in the snow, tires and tires. Of course things like ABS and traction control are a big help too. But it really boils down to tires.

On a grade with ice or snow, ABS, AWD or traction control can only do so much. But with a good set of winter tires, you can tackle a grade without out those devices.

I don't know if that helps any, but there you go.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Very well put... I agree totally.

ORIGINAL: F1_nut

Joel,

I can't speak from my experience on my van, as I have AWD. But I've had two other FWD cars that give me some perspective. I've driven in all sorts of snowy conditions in CO and MN. There are two main factors that determine how well a car will do in the snow, tires and tires. Of course things like ABS and traction control are a big help too. But it really boils down to tires.

On a grade with ice or snow, ABS, AWD or traction control can only do so much. But with a good set of winter tires, you can tackle a grade without out those devices.

I don't know if that helps any, but there you go.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 PM

I've been driving for over 45 years in Michigan. The secret to driving in snow is to drive like you've got eggs on the pedals. Whatever traction you've got, don't overpower it. Easy does it and you'll bet home just fine. It's the moronswho think that just because they've got AWD or 4WD and can go 70 that wind up in the ditch when they slam on the brakes and start going sideways.

Carry a shovel in case you get drifted in. I once got stuck in the middle of the road because the drift there was so high, the car rode up on it and all the wheels were off the ground!