Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Dash lights not working '99 Voyager LE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Default Dash lights not working '99 Voyager LE

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE (I live in Australia - so it may be known by different names in other countries).

What happened was that I had an accident in early March and sustained right front damage. This was repaired by a local repairer however since picking it up 13 days ago I have had endless electrical problems.

On a day trip we got all the way to our destination (200km) and then at the end of the day started the car to come home and noticed the battery light was on, within a km all the lights flickered and the car stopped dead. The alternator had stopped charging the battery and so I had it rebuilt. I have also replaced the battery.

Then in the days that followed I my dash lights were not working (instrument panel cluster lights) - this includes the lights behind the gauges as well as the illumination lights behind the fan controls. My digital displays still work as do the interior lights. The dimmer switch appeared to be faulty as the digital display flickers when this dial is moved.

So far in an attempt to rectify this I have:

1. Reset the BCM by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for minimum 10 minutes and then reconnect - made no difference
2. Changed the fuse for the instrument illumination (Fuse 2) - made no difference. A test light test shows there is no power to that particular fuse.
3. I have pulled out the printed circuit board behind the instrument gauges and re soldered the points of the pins (two were dry) - made no difference
4. Tonight I have replaced the panel including switches for the headlights, dimmer switch and mirror control - made no difference.

Now from reading forums I see it may be the power inverter in the gauge cluster. Is that a possibility for this model car? Can someone please give me some guidance on identifying this and what I need to ask for to buy a replacement?

It was also suggested that the body control module may have been damaged in the accident - I don't know - but what are other's thoughts on this?

Old 04-14-2015, 05:27 PM

Just to clarify, my Voyager is a right hand drive, 6 cylinder, 3.3L petrol engine. There are photos of the damage from the accident at the following link

Old 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM
tfb

wiring diagrams for a 98 can be found here

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...ish/egs_8w.pdf

a 99 should be the same

Regards

Richard

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM

Seems pretty cut and dried. Cluster lamp power comes into the cluster on an orange wire at pin 6 from the BCM/Junction block. Ground is a black wire at pin 13 at the cluster and comes from ground stud 200. Check the ground and power. You're missing one or the other unless there's an internal problem in the cluster. That said, throw the heater panel in the mix and it suggest a more involved wire problem or a BCM that headed south. Are you missing any other lighting?

Don't see a power inverter on the diagram.