Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Valve and Waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Default EGR Valve and Waterpump

Right few weeks ago I blocked off the Vac pipe to the control valve on my 2.5CRD for the EGR Valve, I can hapilly report that the engine light has not made an appearance and the fuel economy has improved, (I was expecting the thing to use more fuel) on a mix of much hilly driving and Payage (I live in France) I can say that I averaged 34MPG over two tank fills, the actual driving is much more pleasant as it is more forgiving through the gears, it also runs cooler as there is no exhaust going through the water cooled heat exchanger.

On the way back from Dropping off my Nipper and Twin Daughters at Nice Airport, early Monday, the water pump decided to let the system relieve itself of Coolant, fortunately 400yds from home, so Monday and all of today was spent fighting the various plates and alloy frames to access the pump, it was a right ball ache to remove loads of 7mm headed Bolts, not if the cam cover is actually waterproof?? and who's stupid idea was it to make the Cam wheels a very slight taper fit without using woodruff keys?? I had the locking tools for flywheel and the twin cams but had to make up a tool to lock the Cam wheels, as I didn't fancy letting the timing pins take the strain when undoing and then torquing up to 80lbft removing the starter proved a challenge in itself but it is all done and back working, wonder what it will throw at me next?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
tfb

good to hear of the EGR results and I agree with the cams - though sometimes you can use it to your advantage by leaving the cam pulley a bit loose and tightening the belt tensioner and then tweaking the cam positions.

Regards
Richard

Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

All I can say is I envy you living in France. Been there three times, twice in Motorhome. For weather, empty roads and swimming in sea at Agde in the rain it was great. We were going to move to France but something unexpected happened.
Interesting to hear your EGR results and noted.
Good Luck.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Smile

I agree with what you have said, I left the cams loose set the belt then did the retaining nuts up, I thought it prudent to use Thread Lock, by doing it that way I was able to lose the slack that was between the pulleys, it had a belt change 5 years ago, but from the white tippex I found no locking pins were used, the exhaust Cam was 1/2 a tooth out hence the slack, If it wasn't for one of my hearing aids packing up I could also tell you if it sounds better, as the pump bearings were obviously shot and one idler had slack, and very noisy to turn, in the nick of I do believe LOL.

Goggs I am happy that the EGR Valve was working OK and has sealed, makes a much better engine for 10 mins work. Oh the temperature here in France is still reaching the High 20s, and the sea is very welcoming!!