Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Engine Light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:04 AM
tfb

where abouts are you Mark? I have a scanner that can read the codes.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM

One of the many good things about living in a smaller country. It's not a three day trip to help someone.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tfb
where abouts are you Mark? I have a scanner that can read the codes.

Regards
Richard
Hi Richard,
I'm in Stourbridge, West Midlands.

Thank you for your kind offer - lets hope we're near neighbours!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
A slack [badly fitted] fuel filter [leakback] and for that matter a cracked diesel heater plastic component will cause it not to start, but will not cause 'limp mode'. Your car has a 41TE gearbox. The sweeping needle is an indication of a flat battery.

- did you pull the NEG terminal for 16 minutes to clear the BUS ?
- is your battery now fully charged ?
- the writing in RED mean you are supposed to click on them
Hi QinteQ
Today I pulled the Neg and charged the battery for about 3 hours. Connected up the battery again and the gearbox worked perfectly again. The only downside was the engine light remained on. My partner did a 50 mile drive in the car (25mls there switched off for 10mins then 25 back) and said it was still working fine when she pulled up on the drive. I just got in it after 2.5 hours to check the fault codes and take it for a quick drive and its back to limp mode. Its still showing P1685 so I shall buy some new batteries tomorrow for both key fobs. I haven't had chance to check the wires and other things that have been suggested yet. I wonder now whether just a new battery would solve the issue? Starting to drive us insane!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 PM

and the gearbox worked perfectly again
- good
only downside was the engine light remained on, partner did a 50 mile drive in the car
- a three hour charge and a 50 mile drive should bring any half decent battery up to CCA capable
SKIM key 1685 code
- not related to 'limp'
- tomorrow pull the NEG terminal for 16 minutes to clear the BUS, start the car as normal
- with the key in the IGN lock & unlock doors, with the FOB
- then switch the car off, get out and lock doors with the FOB and the protection should activate
- what happens now ?, has the SKIM code issue disappeared ?

NOTE : It will not hurt to change the FOB batteries. but its unlikely to be the case of the SKIM code. You may get the 1685 SKIM showing for some time, it disappears after so many successful [no issues] starts. On the 'key dance is the 1685 the only code showing ?

Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 AM
tfb

I know Stourbridge, unfortunately I'm in Cambridgeshire so not that close.

In limp mode you won't be able to make it to me, I might be able to make it over on Friday but it depends on what's happening at work. Might know a bit better tomorrow.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- good

- a three hour charge and a 50 mile drive should bring any half decent battery up to CCA capable

- not related to 'limp'
- tomorrow pull the NEG terminal for 16 minutes to clear the BUS, start the car as normal
- with the key in the IGN lock & unlock doors, with the FOB
- then switch the car off, get out and lock doors with the FOB and the protection should activate
- what happens now ?, has the SKIM code issue disappeared ?

NOTE : It will not hurt to change the FOB batteries. but its unlikely to be the case of the SKIM code. You may get the 1685 SKIM showing for some time, it disappears after so many successful [no issues] starts. On the 'key dance is the 1685 the only code showing ?
Yes the only code showing is 1685. Nothing re the limp mode. Thanks so much again.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
tfb

I was hoping to be able to get out of going into work on Thursday night and pop over on Friday day, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Weekends are out for me I'm afraid.

Next week might be possible depending upon what's happening at work.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Yes the only code showing is 1685. Nothing re the limp mode. Thanks so much again.
Disconnected the NEG again and tried the key fob unlock / lock etc but engine light remains on. Drove the car and gears changed perfectly. parked for 15mins or so and limp mode back again. Unfortunately I don't have the time to work on the car so I've now booked it in to a main dealer to have a diagnosis carried out. It has to be something very simple. Thanks again Mark

Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks very much Richard.
I've booked it in to a main dealer as need to get it working asap.
Mark

Quick Reply: Engine Light on