Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic stalling and cutting out in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Default Erratic stalling and cutting out in traffic

I've had a number of issues with my 2001 2.5 CRD, most have been solved but the one that has persisted is uneven idling, and if I'm stuck in traffic for any length of time, then when I press the accelerator, the engine 'bounces' up to aout 1500rpm a few times and then cuts dead. Turning off the ignition and restarting cures the problem but it's not good, and a few weeks ago, it decided to cut out on a roundabout - not good as I immediately lost the power steering as well.

After some messaging to Merlin, he had the fuel pressure control solenoid as the most likely culprit, and after a couple more messages, Merlin agreed that he would do the work for me in person if I took it to the dealership - a 400 odd mile round trip, but worth it as my local dealership charges around £130 per hour and doesn't inspire me with confidence. So, a few weeks ago, I drove down to have the work done, plus diagnostics to see if there were any other problems. The dealership were very accomodating, and allowed my to watch the work being done. Merlin showed me the diagnostics and it was pretty obvious that the solenoid was sticking and not allowing the fuel required to be supplied. At the same time, Merlin pointed out that the fuel pump wasn't sounding too happy. So, in theory, a simple job - undo three bolts, remove the old solenoid, replace with a new one (£300 + part) which had been ordered beforehand and away I went. Excedpt that two of the bolts were seized solid and nothing Merline did was going to remove them. The only solution was to get the fuel pump out and remove the solenoid on the bench. The only problem was that the dealership shut at midday on Saturdays, so there simply wasn't time to do it then. Did manage to get 2 spare keys coded in though, so not completely wasted.

Booked the car back in for half a day and went down yesterday - another 400 mile round journey. I had already bought a new fuel pump - managed to pick up a brand new item off ebay for £150 - about half retail cost (the fuel pump wasn't sounding as bad by now as I had used Grotamar - see Jacob25CRD's posting on this, so I'd recommend using Grotamar in diesels - I now use it every fill as a preventative) and Merlin changed the solenoid and fitted my fuel pump.

The car was immediately transformed. The idle is smooth as soon as the car is started and on the way home, the M25 was stationery (as usual) so tested the long idling problem - and again, the car behaved brilliantly.

I have to say that it was definitely worth the 800 mile+ total journey to have Merlin sort this out - total labour was around £250, plus around £80 in fuel (and a couple of 4am starts) - I'm not convinced that my local dealer could have done the job anything like as fast, so I dread to think what they would have charged (they are also a Mercedes dealer). I now have much more confidence in my car than I did before, this makes it much more enjoyable to drive.

Many thanks to Merlin for the help with this car - above and beyond the call of duty

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 AM

That certainly is a glowing recommendation and clearly shows the difference between a mechanic who does the job because he has a passion for it and one that does it because he can't do anything else. When you find a good mechanic he is worth his weight in gold.

I left the trade for that very reason as the majority of the guys I was working with were high school drop outs whereas I went into it with 3 A Levels but a real passion for motorcyles/cars and engines. Even I have asked Merlin the occasional question and he has been very quick and willing to respond.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM

you are more then welcome, I am so happy all is now well.
I discounted you as much as I could and thank you for the feed back.