Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FCM/Radio diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

the prob with the FCM and the IPM is that U cant really test them because they are attached together. If u had a DRB u could turn on the NBS that would let u know if the control or the input is bad. Yes the radio sends out a signal over the PCI bus to the FCM and then the FCM turns on the NBS

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM

I don't see the ins and out in my manual yet. It describes that it controls the NBS relay however it does say this in my manual....

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Maybe your FCM (or rather IPM) has forgot it has an NBS relay. Have you tried removing the battery cable for a few minutes to reset all modules? A DRBIII would tell you exactly what is wrong if you are willing to pay for diagnosis.

Also.. twice now in 1.5 years, we turn the car on and no sounds from the radio, just the display. If we shut the car off and restart it, the sounds returns. These cars are full of gremlins.

Fixit

Last edited by mrfixit454; 11-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:09 AM

Hi dunno if this helps, but I recently wired up an aftermarket radio on my voyager. I had the same problem as you. The relay needs a 12 volt supply from the radio so my guess is that is what it aint getting. On mine it was a dark green wire (car end). I ended up using the Electric Aerial output from the Kenwood radio as it was the only 12 volt output it provided. Anyway once I connected that the relay worked and the speakers came on. The Relay will probably be ok as you have found yourself when you bypassed the wiring. So again I guess it's the 12 volt supply that switches on the relay. I dunno if that is any help but I struggled for days with a multimeter old speakers etc to find this out. I ended up with the schematic for the car and the radio to get it sorted. By the way the PDF schematic had totally the wrong colours I have a UK spec Voyager. Hope you get it working and let us know if you do would you. Cheers Robert.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
the prob with the FCM and the IPM is that U cant really test them because they are attached together. If u had a DRB u could turn on the NBS that would let u know if the control or the input is bad. Yes the radio sends out a signal over the PCI bus to the FCM and then the FCM turns on the NBS
I have a DRB, but it is not showing an actuator test for the NBS relay in the FCM menu. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I also don't see any ability to change the settings on the FCM in the "System Tests" or "Miscelaneous" menus where they often appear. The DRB also shows no DTC's.

Let me know if there's anything else I can try with the DRB or otherwise.