Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

finally fixed my airbag light

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Default finally fixed my airbag light

Hello, I am pretty excited today. After years of screwing around trying to get rid of the airbag light intermittently coming on I think I have finally done it. I bought this car about 6 years ago and with this websites help I was able to diagnose and replace a defective clockspring. The dealer did not cover mine under warranty but non the less, it had the stereotypical symptoms. Airbag light intermittently on, horn didnt work, cruise control didnt work. So I bought the clockspring installed it carefully and it seamed to be working. Horned worked flawlessly, cruise control worked, ect. But the next day the airbag light went off again. I am a mechanical person and fix my own cars, (many times with help from this forum) but am far from a professional mechanic. Non the less I assumed that maybe the computer stored the code and would either need to be reset or would go away at some point of start stops. After reasearch I learned the airbag has a seperate computer and would need a drb III tool to access codes. Well being a do it yourself guy that is perpetually poor. I figured the code was permantly stored and that is why the light stayed on. I even found a same year junkyard voyager without front end damage and swapped out the airbag computer. Big surprise still not fixed almost immediately light came on. This is the annoying part. This is my wifes car and I dont drive it regularly. She is not observant to car issuse. Well I drove this car to my parents house an hour and a half away and back after my last failed attempt of airbag light repair learning the front seats are included in the airbag system. So on both of the front seats I found the yellow connectors inspected them unplugged and replugged them back in. Look solid and fine no problems. So on my trip to my parents house I noticed that the airbag light didnt go off once. Very unusual indeed. But still didnt piece it together until today. On an unrelated repair I had the car running and got in the passenger seat and heard the beap of the airbag light. I got off the seat the light turned off. Well I did this about 5 times same result every time. I am totally irritated. So I try with key off unplugging and plugging in the connector again. No luck. And this time I actually look a little farther. The wire coming from the yellow connector looked fine but In the center of the seat the cable was between the seat foam and the metal structure of the seat. I grab it and move it a bit and bingo. Two of the four wires were crushed to the point of bare copper. I opened up the bundle and they actually werent that bad just a few tiny strands of one wire were cut the rest just rubbed raw. Taped them up seperately and bundled em back together. Making sure they could not get pinched again, I bought this car at an auction with 73,000 miles on it. Fixing the clockspring within the first couple thousand miles. The car has `177,000 miles on it at this point. Been living with the light for a 100,000 miles. I finally win. Sorry about the long story. But maybe it will help someone else out. Thanks to all the forum people for all your advise especially CHRYSLER TECH CHRYSLER TECH THE
Super Moderator
I have read many of your posts and have fixed several other problems on this car with your help. I will update everyone in a couple weeks and let you know if the airbag light stays off. (fingers crossed) but how many airbag related problems can one car possibly have without ever being in a crash. If anybody wants some pictures of the wires let me know.
Thanks
Jerry

Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

what year van do you have? and congrats with the repair

Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 PM

2001 Chrysler Voyager, 3.3l. Whoops, that is pretty relevent information left out.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM

Nice work. You conquered everyone's nightmare - wiring. Just an FYI. You don't have to have a high end DRBIII scanner to read airbag (SRS) codes. Here's a few examples: Amazon.com: srs scanner

Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Very good, sounds like a fault that could happen to anybody's car.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

I have a code reader from about 5 years ago. it read nothing. I was unaware of this new development of code readers to include srs airbag support. Sounds like a cool device. Thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Very good, sounds like a fault that could happen to anybody's car.
I could see this being a common problem with the passenger side seat the way the cable was routed in this seat. Looks like the drivers side is routed a big differently thus avoiding trouble. Thanks

Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Default Airbag light

Sorry guys i posted a new thread and did not see this one.My voyager (2002) has just started showing an airbag light which stays on for about 20 secs at a time then goes out again for about 10 secs before doing the whole thing over again.I will try and get a look at the yellow connectors and check the wires under the seats.Is the connector behind the glovebox the same colour as the others? I have tested the horn and this works ok so doubtful it's the spring.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:46 AM

Gsibert -- love your persistence finding the fault, this persistence is what is needed to rundown to ground some faults on modern vehicles. Mostly when you get down to it, the repair costs nothing or next to nothing. Just a shedload of time.
Congrats again on the reporting. Sometimes a long posting is needed to clearly illustrate the "how-to" practical aspects of repair work.

Leedsman.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:50 AM

I have a 2012 300, air bag light started intermittent this past week. Can you send pictures of yellow wire/ is it under the seats?