Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel consumption help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by QinteQ
HiTa Timmy, I don't think anyone in the history of man has ever claimed to get 33MPG from a 2.8CRD 'around town' I'm not a gambling man but I'd bet my house on the fact that no one will ever [real world] achieve that - ever.

My claim, and most others I'm sure will agree that a mixed 30+MPG is possible, but that in turn depends on what mix. My point was that improving your own and the cars driving behaviour is the only effective way to achieve a 30+MPG mixed. The gentler driving style with a 'light-boot' will use less RPM will use less fuel - its really more a question of what I / me / now / can do, get into the habit of doing that 365 days a year and you are on a winner.

In town you can't really use cruise, other mixed driving you can and should use cruise, cruise [the puter] not only knows better than you but can change several thousand times a second and make adjustments. Try it .. .. do 30 or 40 or 50 MPH without cruise and the same speeds with cruise you will find you (1) do any speed with a 20+% reduction in given RPM for the same speed [reduced fuel volume cost] and your (2) gearbox changes up earlier more reduced fuel volume cost.

In additive / chip-MOD terms I've never had a lot of time for the alchemy it promises. I can see that blanking the EGR which needs a re-MAP [see #18 ] will help fuel across all RPM and lifestyle uses. In short there's nothing much that a 'school run only' style use of a 2.8CRD can do to improve MPG but we all knew that when we joined the Voyager army. There is however a lot we can do on mixed and above driving .. .. starting with the right foot.

Best of luck Timmy.
Eh up mate

I'll have a go @ the cruise control and maybe try and find a piggy-back box like the 2 TUNIT'S I have on my VW and Avensis T-180 in a hope that it will give more mpg. I think that a good "Italian" tune up every now and again does help to blow out the **** out of the EGR and cylinders. As does a nice long run down the M-way...

I think you're correct in the fact that driving styles do make a lot of difference to the overall mpg! This is what I've been teaching my driving students for over 20 years :-)

Last edited by TimmyTim; 05-25-2013 at 08:50 AM.