Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

gearbox seal blown

Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Angry gearbox seal blown

Hi, further to my LOSS OF GEARS post, i have replaced rad and gearbox, driveshaft seal was leaking so removed shaft and "flange plate" that has 4 bolts top and 2 bolts bottom. i replaced the seal that you can see when shaft is removed,

QUESTION.....is there more than one seal inside this flange plate?

After putting it all back together and on a test drive seal has blown out,
i had trouble getting old seal out almost as if it was "GLUED" in, should i have glued the new one in, if so with what?
or is there something else i have done wrong

hoping for advice
regards john

Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM

so removed shaft and "flange plate" that has 4 bolts top and 2 bolts bottom. i replaced the seal that you can see when shaft is removed,

Houston...we have a problem......

That flange plate is the carrier for the differential bearings......If it doesnt sit properly, the shaft "WALKS" in and out and drags the seal with it......

It will probably need to go to a Trans guy , to have the diff set up again.....

Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Default gearbox seal

hi djinn,

obviously i bow to your superior knowledge, but the plate can only go back one way and i know it was bolted up as tight as it came off,is there any other reason?, when the seal blew i had just driven up a steep hill, would that have put the box under greater pressure?

respectfully john

Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by john franklin
hi djinn,

obviously i bow to your superior knowledge, but the plate can only go back one way and i know it was bolted up as tight as it came off,is there any other reason?, when the seal blew i had just driven up a steep hill, would that have put the box under greater pressure?

respectfully john
Hi John,
I'm just about to replace the N/S drive shaft oil seal on my 03 voyager. Do you have any useful tips you would care to tell me about.
It's nearly 40 years since i was on the tools and it the force of the economy which has taken me back to them.
best regards
Les

Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 AM

hi lesF, it is really quite straight forward, all i would say to take care about is making sure the drive shaft is properly engaged and fully home,i had someone fit my replacement box and he said that the seal was weeping, so when i took the shaft out to replace the seal i put it back the way it came out,not realising my fitter hadnt put it in right originaly,i only found this out when i changed the offside,so then had to go back and refit the n/side but it did cure my leaks,
so best of luck
hope this makes sense and helps
regards john