Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got tranny but still dont work

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM

the builder says 'computer IN the trans..." that would be a neat trick. You'd have the ONLY 41TE trans on the planet to have a computer in the trans.

Did the output speed sensor read? If the speedo worked on the test, the output is fine. explain the 1-2 shift and then what does it do for 2-3? does it try to shift then neutral and drop to 2nd or does it just make no attempt to go into 3rd?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM

I think hes trying to put in laymans terms. the black box on the side is what I was thinking he was talking about.
ok. put in reverse and back out of drive way perfect. put in d and take off fine. it goes to shift to seconed and just like puting in neutral. then stays there. put back in reverse and back home. fine. shut off motor and restart and you have reverse and first. put in drive and take off. fine trys to go into seconed and nothing.... ect ect

Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM

yes out put is working. have speedometer both forward and reverse...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 PM

found this... sounds like the same thing

http://www.trnw.net/fixdata-display....1.html&aname=3

Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 PM

well went back out and pluged in the scanner. should I relearn the computer again? also should I reset the (emcc)? it shows all the clutches and the pressures and they are all good. Im going to get it to F/U again and see if the pressures change. I wish I got a manual that told me the abbreviations to what the the scanner says. like 2-4 , od , ld.. lol

Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM

well after checking tranny again it has codes 36, 52... looked them up to find this.....

Super Important
If code 36 is present (fault immediately after shift) with one of these 50 series codes there is a internal
transmission problem!
UD/OD snap ring broken
OD clutch pack burnt up
Gear train failure
etc

that doesent sound good. so I guess I will be removing to send somewhere else to get a checkup.... since all the rebuild stuff is done I hope it will be a cheap fix....and why the hell did the color change on my post...LOL

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Sorry you are having so many problems with this.. I hope you get it fixed soon. BTW.. is your OTC the 3498?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 AM

So you are saying it starts in first, shifts to 2nd then just quits moving in 2nd? I'm not clear on EXACTLY what is happening? I just rebuilt a 1996 that did the following: when cold, shifted perfect 1-4, when it got hot, it neutraled out and had no movement what so ever forward, but had strong reverse. the cause worn/failed seals on the underdrive and overdrive clutches. Rebuilt trans and all is good.

You can just unplug any of the sensors, tcm or relay and drive it stuck in 2nd and see what happens when the trans gets hot. if it quits moving or doesn't move in 2nd the it IS NOT the 'black box/ internal trans computer (incorrect terminology it is the SOLENOID PACK"

one thing for sure it is NOT any sensors causing your problem!!!!

If I had this trans, I would use pressure gauges to see what is happening along with my scanner and 20+ years/1000+ rebuilds of experience to fix it.

I'm actually getting tired of all the time I've spent with you so far trying to solve your problem I added up all the posts and time to read/reply and I'm into you for over 1hr. since the start of this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry at you, but I need to spend my time making money. So I'll let other experts on here work on solving your problem. Maybe one of them has a better idea than me. Never know, I might be going at my diagnosis all wrong. But all I can say is you for sure need someone with actual real experience to fix this once and for all. I'm certain that the repairs/diagnosis are beyond your means and tool availability. What may help you is to get the book. Utradrive student reference manual. I'm not going to spend the time hunting one down for you and I only have a couple copies left which I will not part with.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrfixit454
Sorry you are having so many problems with this.. I hope you get it fixed soon. BTW.. is your OTC the 3498?
thanks... its the elite spx,otc scanner

Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM

I have the same exact problem you do but it's on a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus. Crank it up, put it in reverse, no problem. Put it in Drive, no problem but as soon as it shifts to 2nd, it's like it goes into Neutral and no forward gear will work. Shut the car off, crank it back up and you have 1st gear again. But as soon as it shifts to 2nd, it's like it goes to Neutral again.

Here's what I've done so far.....

I have access to a Snapon tester that I'm using to read the codes through the OBD-II connector and it also let's me do a bit of diagnostic testing. One of these is to cycle the solenoids (low-reverse, 2-4, underdrive, overdrive) on and off. When I do this test, all cycle fine except the 2-4 solenoid which sort of makes sense given the problem.

Using the Alldata online manual, I did the troubleshooting for the 2-4 solenoid. No shorted wires, no open wires, no shorted solenoids on the solenoid pack itself and the correct resistance values (1-3 ohms) between the 2-4 solenoid (pin 19 on the Trans Ctrl Module plug) and the transmission control relay output (pins 16 and 17 on the TCM plug). The end of the troubleshooting flowchart said to change the TCM which I did and I have the same problem with the 2-4 solenoid test still not working. Now then, I got a TCM from another Cirrus in the junkyard so I can't guarantee it didn't have the same issue but what's weird is that I can perform the solenoid test with the solenoid pack disconnected and again, all work fine except the 2-4 solenoid. That tells me it's the TCM (or an input to it) since at this point the tranny/solenoid pack isn't even in the circuit.

I also drove it after the TCM change and the same thing happened and it set the 36 and 52 codes. Read up on those and they don't sound too good.

So now I'm off to check some inputs. Hope this helps you out in your troubleshooting and if I do find the answer, I'll be sure to post it.

Quick Reply: got tranny but still dont work