Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD Help needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Default Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD Help needed ASAP!

HI Guys!
I have a problem with my 02 reg GV CRD! Sometimes its cut off (stalls) most likely when the engine temperature its just about a bit under the 1 quarter of warm like half way under the middle(normal( temperature! Sometimes it does it sometimes its not! We have hooked it up to a scanner and got the camshaft positioning sensor fault! So I did replace the sensor with the new one (Ł:90.00)
and it still does it after all does more offten then before even after we cleared the trouble code as well! When its warm then everything is fine! When its stalls then won't start for a good half an hour or maybe even more! I have no idea anymore what to do or what to check on it?? We have planned to go on the just about 5000 mile route to Europe about 2 weeks from now but I'm affraid to set of with it anymore! I do love this van but like this, I'm more likely to sell it and get another one rather then wasting my money on it anymore! Anybody have any clue or something what a hell should I do with it?? When I bought it then I had to refurbed all the injectors due to they were bad ( lovely past owner was using with red diesel!!!) Also I had to refurbed the high pressure fuel pump and the lift pump as well! Also cleaned the fuel tank and replaced obviously the fuel filter as well! So at this moment I have no clue what so ever! Thanks Frank

Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 AM
tfb

is it stalling at idle or under light load or heavy load?.
Was the camshaft sensor a stored or current code? is the camshaft sensor code still present?

Regards
Richard

Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Hi!
Its stalling on idle and even when I try to take off at the traffic light, but once was stalling when I was going steadyly at 30mph! The code was cleared and came back again even with the new sensor! What I did today is I have tidy up all the cables from the sensor to the ECU! So far I have droved about 20 miles and so far so good! But also I did checked the cables from the cam shaft sensor till the ECU and no crack no cut or anything! So thats why I have no idea what a hell is wrong with it! Any idea?? Cheers Frank

Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 AM
tfb

Fault codes need to be interpreted. If you have a fault code for the camshaft sensor then it does not mean the the camshaft sensor has failed (though some scan tools will give you more detail on the nature of the error)- what it means is that ECU has detected a signal (or lack of signal) from the CPS that is out of parameter, it could be that the signal is too big, too small, missing, to fast or slow when compared to other readings, signal is arriving later or earlier than expected and so on.

Visually checking the wires is a start, but you need to test the wires electrically. Use a multimeter to measure the resistance end to end and keep wiggling and jiggling the look and look for changes. If you have an oscilloscope then look at the CPS signal as it is presented to the ECU - look for changes as the wiring loom is moved.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Default Dear Richard!

Thanks for the reply Richard! I did check the wires with the multimeter and from the sensor till the ECU! Tried to moved and bend ( as much is possible) the wiring harness and nothing I'm mean not a damn thing happened! So what I did so far tidy up all the harness from the sensor to the ECU and nice'n clean just like the factory one and so far we droved around a 30-40 miles and so far so good! But the problem is what if it does againg specially somewhere in the middle of Europe then what?? I'll have my 19 months old son and my wife in it so they gonna be upset a bit if its gonna happen again! Thats what I wanna avoid! But I have no clue anymore! Also I do not have an oscilloscope, and thats what the fault code keep coming back when it stalls! Even with the new sensor! I did checked it with the multimeter on the OHM possition to check if there is any resistance but nothing, not even when I was bending the cables( the whole lot)!Also what I have noticed the connector on the CPS on the left hand side had a bit loose connection so I bent that connector inside so to make sure its touching inside properly and so far haven't stalled! But as I said earlier I'M affraid its not the end of the story! I'll let You know what is going on with it anyway! Thanks again

Last edited by feri2974; 06-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM

Have you checked/cleaned the MAF with some CRC spray? Are you sure there isn't a problem with the fuel filter housing that's allowing air to be sucked in?... Just a shot in the dark...

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

HI Guys!
So far its still going well without the problem! Looks like the tidy up the cables and closing on the connection on that sensor was solved the problem! Since its going well without the problem! I'm so happy and pleased with it!Thanks guys for all the help!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Smile

Hi Guys!
So far (fingers crossed!) no problem at all! Since I have tidy up all the cables and connectors the bus is going well! Just got back from the 3200 miles trip since saturday we left and now just got back it runs as it should without any problem! Also the fuel economy is excellent about 45 mpg at cruising 85 mph! This is the van I always wanted! SO I'm so happy now with it! Thanks for all the help guys! Frank

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 AM
tfb

glad to hear it's running fine. Though 45mpg seems a bit optimistic - don't trust what the display tells you, do a tank to tank reading to get an accurate mpg.

Regards
Richard

Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Hello Guys! Well two days ago I have put some fuel ( Shell Vpower Nitro Racing diesel) into this GV and after when I paid for it it wouldn't started! I hade to push it out of the way and play with it for about 5-10 minutes and then started and tooked me home! I tought its some stupid thing! I wasn't worried so much sincve last saturady I went down to Bournemouth frm Maidstone and bought another car for my pther half and towed home with it without a porblem! Till today I was gonna come home and usually takes about 15-20 minutes throught the town center in Maidstone but it cut out again and again! So barely after 2-3 hours trying and stalling went to a friend of mine and hooked up onto the computer of his and the same problem showed up again! Camshaft position sensor again! I mean after I have changed and tidy up all the wiring and refurbished all the injectors and high pressure pump and droved a bit more then 6 K miles that wasn't acceptable for me! So any idea??Most likely its happening after refueling! I only refuel at Shell and only I put the Vpower diesel init! I know its a bit more expensive but its worth it for me for the longer period of time! Was running lovely and can not complain at all, but its starting again??? I will not tolerate that after spending more then a grand on in so I'm getting a new sensor againg and replace that tomorrow and after that I'm not willing to spend a sinlge penny on it till its improves for at least a couple K miles! After that I will change the T belt and etc on it but till then after tomorow if its not runnung as it should be then it will be for sale to the highest offer! It has 96600 on it and it's a limited CRD! Think about it! Long MOT and 2 months tax! And maybe an angry seller! Chears Guys

Last edited by feri2974; 07-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD Help needed ASAP!