Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
I think your safe for another 10k. Mine has done 72k so I probably will leave the belt until 90k or so. Now I'm retired I don't do much mileage so it will be a year or so before it needs changing.
Thanks Alan, I appreciate that

Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 AM

I think your safe for another 10k. Mine has done 72k so I probably will leave the belt until 90k or so. Now I'm retired I don't do much mileage so it will be a year or so before it needs changing.
Dealer just came back and re-quoted £288 inc VAT for belt and water pump..

Sounds good.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Dealer just came back and re-quoted £288 inc VAT for belt and water pump
That's a good price, I would jump at that but I'd be tempted to ask for the old belt back.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM

That's a good price, I would jump at that but I'd be tempted to ask for the old belt back.
Would the new belt and pump be visible if I opened the bonnet Alan?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

I think the water pump would be visible but I think the belt is behind a cover. Not too sure about that. If we have a dry spell tomorrow I'll have a look under my bonnet and report back.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

I think the water pump would be visible but I think the belt is behind a cover. Not too sure about that. If we have a dry spell tomorrow I'll have a look under my bonnet and report back.
Thanks again mate.

Just spoken to the wife about it and I think we are leaning towards just getting as it is and having our own mechanic do the belt/pulleys/pump. At least we then know what make of parts are being used.

On that note, would a Gates Powergrip belt be the best? Not sure of who makes decent pumps....

Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM

Sorry but I have no idea about belt manufacturers. When I had mine done the garage would only fit ones that they were confident with so they could offer a guarantee on the work. I don't know which they used.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Merlecollins
Hi all,

I am a brand newbie here so please excuse me if Ive posted this in the wrong area of the forum

Basically I am very tempted with purchasing our first ever Chrysler GV.

We have just offloaded a 2002 Renault Grand Espace and were thinking of replacing it with the newer shape GE, then started to think out of the box and began looking into the Chrysler alternative.

The model we have narrowed it down to is a 2005 2.8 Ltd XS diesel with 80K miles on it.

I appreciate its a lucky dip, but would be eternally grateful if anyone could suggest any common failings of one of these fantastic cars with this amount of mileage?

Cheers,

Merle. (UK)
Hi Merle,

I just bought a GV Ltd Xs, 2005, 99,000 for £3,500. Great car, nice to drive, stow & go is brilliant and every other feature is great. BUT after 350 miles the engine light has come on and it's stuck in Limp home mode, I.e. Stuck in second gear. Car is currently at Chrysler dealer and my bill is up to £400 just checking the wiring. That's before they charge me for any repairs which I'm expecting to be more than £1,000. I have to say my experience with the dealer and the car is shocking. So be prepared for much trouble ahead my friend. I now have lost all confidence in the car and can't see me driving it anywhere. The dealer seems to have no clue whatsoever how to deal with customers only how to steal money!!! Good luck!!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Merlecollins
Cheers Alan

In short, would you panic about changing the cambelt on a 2005 2.8 GV if it was at 80K miles?

I got 3 separate prices today:

Chrysler Main Dealer - £1000
Mr Clutch - £478
Dealers Garage - £400

I could just do without shelling out for it for a month or so...
Merle,
The cambelt change interval on the 2005 GV is 62,500 miles. The 2006 model is 100,000 miles. Might have already been done?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Merle,
The cambelt change interval on the 2005 GV is 62,500 miles. The 2006 model is 100,000 miles. Might have already been done?
Cheers Mark,

Very interesting indeed.

I actually lost this car after asking the dealer if I could do an AA inspection....

But now found another (theres ALWAYS another) with a lot less miles on, 67K to be exact.

Now the car I have found with 67K on is a 2005 '55 so assuming a timing belt change is recommended at 62,500, so Ive asked the dealer if they will include a service and cambelt change for me and include it in the price....The saleswoman said they had no record of a service since June 2010 and she would have to ask her manager if he would include a service....

I await her phone call in the morning....

Quick Reply: Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.