Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Merlecollins
Cheers Mark,

Very interesting indeed.

I actually lost this car after asking the dealer if I could do an AA inspection....

But now found another (theres ALWAYS another) with a lot less miles on, 67K to be exact.

Now the car I have found with 67K on is a 2005 '55 so assuming a timing belt change is recommended at 62,500, so Ive asked the dealer if they will include a service and cambelt change for me and include it in the price....The saleswoman said they had no record of a service since June 2010 and she would have to ask her manager if he would include a service....

I await her phone call in the morning....
Good luck with that Merle. I would doubt if they would include a belt change but if it clinches the deal they might. How much is the car?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Good luck with that Merle. I would doubt if they would include a belt change but if it clinches the deal they might. How much is the car?
They don't get involved in any 'negotiations' by the sounds of it Mark, the price is the price it seems.... so I don't hold out any hope of service and cambelt change either, but nothing ventured and all that...!

I'll be keeping my eyes open for others if she knocks me back

£5700

Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Merlecollins
They don't get involved in any 'negotiations' by the sounds of it Mark, the price is the price it seems.... so I don't hold out any hope of service and cambelt change either, but nothing ventured and all that...!

I'll be keeping my eyes open for others if she knocks me back

£5700
Merle, that sounds a good price. We test drove a Ltd XS 06 with 115k and the dealer wanted 5k for it. This is why we bought the 3.5k one with 99k on clock in the end. For 5.7k I would only pay this if the Timing Belt is included.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Merle, that sounds a good price. We test drove a Ltd XS 06 with 115k and the dealer wanted 5k for it. This is why we bought the 3.5k one with 99k on clock in the end. For 5.7k I would only pay this if the Timing Belt is included.
The dealer maintains that it is not due until between 80 and 100K therefore won't do it for me, but will give it an oil and filter change..

Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Default 100,000 Miles service schedule

Merle,
I've attached a 100,000 mile service schedule (poor copy) that was sent to me by Chrysler. If you look at the bottom of the list you'll see it states timing belt change MY 06 / 07. The 2005 model and below is 62,500 miles hence why its not mentioned.
Hope this helps you
Cheers Mark

Ps if you private message me your email address I'll forward the email they sent me to you.

Attached Thumbnails Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.-gv-service-100000-miles.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Houghton; 02-02-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Merle,
I've attached a 100,000 mile service schedule (poor copy) that was sent to me by Chrysler. If you look at the bottom of the list you'll see it states timing belt change MY 06 / 07. The 2005 model and below is 62,500 miles hence why its not mentioned.
Hope this helps you
Cheers Mark

Ps if you private message me your email address I'll forward the email they sent me to you.
Thanks MArk, but for some reason unbeknown to me, I cannot open photographs anywhere on this forum... It just keeps showing a message saying I do not have enough privileges..

Can anyone shine any light on this for me?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 AM

Hi... we have a 2001 CRD Voyager, we've had it since brand new and it's now got 147K miles on the clock and going strong :-)

I can honestly say it's a fantastic vehicle.. it's carried everything from kids, kayaks, plasterboards, trees etc etc..

I service it myself and have just this weekend done the timing belt for the second time + water pump (as a precaution the original turned out to be fine)

Most common problem I have is anti-roll bar bushes and drop links, I've fitted about 4-5 sets, but at £35 for all the parts is not a problem. Also the front engine mount seems to only last around 40K miles, but it's easy to change.

Electrics for me have been faultless apart from the aux diesel cabin heater, a broken wire.

Battery was changed for the first time last year, glow plugs are still original & it starts first time every time. It had a clutch at 100K miles.

I keep on top of the servicing, oil & filters regularly including fuel filters, changing the gearbox oil & power steering fluid & coolant.

The thermostat is partly stuck open I think, but it's a big job to change it out.

Exhaust is still original as are all the suspension & shock parts, it's had brake discs & pads etc..but that's just wear & tear.

The handbrake is also a weak point, the linkage seizes up causing the shoes to bind on.... regular service needed :-)

It needs a few little bits now... the tailgate release is shot... $25 delivered from the USA, and the power steering pump has got a nasty grinding noise coming from it, but I've got a replacement from a 2006 model for £39 from ebay coming .

I fully expect it to run for at least another 3-4 years maybe more.

The interior, seats etc are very robust and stand lots of abuse & wear n tear.

I do read of a few problems on some of the newer 2.8 models, and I'll also say that if you need to keep taking it to a dealer to get stuff done it can be a very expensive vehicle.

Overall it's been 10/10 for us and I'll probably miss it when it eventually gets sold.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:09 AM

The thermostat is partly stuck open I think, but it's a big job to change it out.
Matt, if you search the forum you'll find details on adding a second thermostat to the top hose. I brilliant solution to having to replace a faulty Chrysler 'stat if it's stuck open.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM

OK thanks, yes I can see the posts by Leedsman.... but I can't access the pictures he's posted.... some message about not having permission ??

Any idea how I can fix that ? or else if you can see the pics, maybe email them to me directly

Thanks

Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this thermostat job.... I've googled around a bit and apparently using a Renault 5 thermostat in the top hose is a very popular mod for MG rover diesels & vauxhall Astra/Vectra diesels with stuck thermostats.

The Renault stat has a nice body that pushes directly into the top hose and can be held easily with a hose clamp.. it looks a real professional job and according to the scores of people who've done it works perfectly :-)

Part ordered for £4.92 inc shipping...... result... will feedback how it works.

Quick Reply: Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.