Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grand voyager transmission fluid / ac/ power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 AM

thanks TimmyTim. I made it pretty clear I found it too much of a coinicidence for it not to be related to the service yesterday. I've asked them to do a thorough report before starting any work. I'm pretty sure it is related, but as you say it is difficult to prove - though they have big signs up saying they guarantee their work. Do you think getting the AA or RAC to look at it is worth it? Or likely to cost yet more money? grrrr!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by voyager200
thanks TimmyTim. I made it pretty clear I found it too much of a coinicidence for it not to be related to the service yesterday. I've asked them to do a thorough report before starting any work. I'm pretty sure it is related, but as you say it is difficult to prove - though they have big signs up saying they guarantee their work. Do you think getting the AA or RAC to look at it is worth it? Or likely to cost yet more money? grrrr!

I think you'd be throwing money away after bad if you got the AA/RAC involved! I doubt they'd back you up in writing for whats gone on!... Try just a well worded letter to the dealer and see how that take s you!...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM
tfb

The DRB they mentioned is the old style Chrysler diagnostic tool. I would guess that they told the gearbox to perform a "quick learn" where the gearbox ECU calibrates itself to the gearbox - without it you may have had a few shuddery gear changes until the ECU learnt the new gear change pattern over time.

There is no physical connection between the systems that have failed. The power steering pump is on it's own belt, separate from the S belt that drives the air con and alternator (unless the crack pulley has fallen off - which you would know if it had!)

I'm not a big fan of garages or dealers - most I've come across I do not consider to be competent to diagnose faults but I think it is unlikely the faults are related. Would be very interested to hear back on what they say is the root cause of the failures

Regards
Richard

Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Voyager200,
Be very careful indeed about starting litigation over your vehicle. It could end up with you spending huge quantities of cash -- and in the end getting nowhere. Don't expect much help from the authorities either. I had dealings with the FSA (now redundant) over a sum of £8000 to do with an endowment mortgage shortfall -- and they were useless.

By all means give it a go so long as you DON'T spend any money. That would come under the category of throwing good money after bad. Put it down to experience (all experience is either painful or expensive and often both). Find yourself a competent independent who knows Chrysler gear well and put the experience behind you.

Quad erat desperandum.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 09-04-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Error.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 AM

just had this from the garage:

We have carried out checks on your vehicle and have found that the air conditioning compressor pulley has sheared off from the compressor.
It will require a new compressor & belt and an air con regas. This fault unfortunately has no bearing on the repairs that we have already carried out,
but we will look at it favourably for you. The total cost for repairs would be £1415.65 inc VAT, this is full retail costings and as I said we should be able to give some discount to help towards these costs.

I feel genuinely sick. Could this really have no bearing on the disastrous full service from 6 weeks ago? Any advice really desperately needed. Or is there anyone I could speak to for a second opinion that isn't going to cost me more money I don't have? help!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM
tfb

A similar thing happened to mine, but it was only the clutch that fell off the compressor pulley. A clutch and pulley kit is £150 and about an hour to fit. Re-gas is between £30-£60 depending where you go and wont be needed if you just change the pulley
If the end of the compressor shaft has been damaged when the pulley/clutch came off it will need to be replaced. A recon air compressor is about £350-400 and replacement would be under an hour of labour. New compressor is about £800 I think.

Can you take a photo of the damage?, point a camera up from under by the drivers wheel to get the compressor shaft in shot.

£1400 is taking the ****. Ask them for a breakdown of that. But I can't see how the service 6 weeks ago would have caused this failure.

Regards
Richard

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM

this is very helpful, thanks Richard.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM

This might help... Chrysler Voyager or Grand Voyager 2.5 / 2.8 CRD Air Conditioning Pump Compressor | eBay

I know that Carpartsfor less were selling them for £170 new all in a few months ago! I'm kicking myself as I need one! But never mind...

Chrysler Voyager or Grand Voyager 2.5 / 2.8 CRD Air Conditioning Pump Compressor | eBay

At least they are Denso! So you know the quality as they make most of the stuff for Toyota...

They are taking the ****! Buy a new one yourself and get it fitted and gassed by a garage! Cost way less than £700 all in...

I love the way they say " This is the FULL retail costing!!!" What a joke!!!! Tell the go Fu@k themselves!!!

Last edited by TimmyTim; 09-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.