Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GV 2004 audio system - Parrot car kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Post GV 2004 audio system - Parrot car kit

Hi folks,

Starting to get a few jobs done on my GV and trying to fit my old Parrot bluetooth phone kit into the car. This used to be in my old 2004 GV, so assumed same process. I'd managed to lose the SOT kit I used to have, so checked and re-ordered the same one (SOT-046) again, connected it all up, and I get no audio from the Parrot strangely. When the Parrot kicks in (It is wired inline between the audio cables, the Parrot uses built-in relays to cut out the factory radio and use it's own built in amp to playback through the car sound system) it only partially mutes the radio and there is no output from the Parrot.
The sound system in my car doesn't appear to be the Infinity system, no branding on the speakers or anywhere, none in the manuals, etc. However, I suspect there is an amp in the system, and that is causing me a headache.

I therefore took apart one of the SOT-046 leads and traced the cabling using a few online diagrams for Parrot and the RB3 sound system (with DVD and rear screen). The wiring diagrams shows two cables per output (speaker) as you'd expect, + and - for each, and the usual pairs (front right, front left, rear left, rear right) so all as you'd expect. The strange thing came when I started to test them and see what happened.

First, I disconnected all leads (keeping power, control, etc, only talking about the 'audio' outputs here), and only connected the pair for front right, assuming I'll only get sound out of this speaker. No, got nothing. Strange!
Then I worked my way round, only connecting one pair (left front, etc) and none of them gave any output. (Panic sets in, I've blown something!)
So reconnect everything through my 'hacked' wiring loom and it all springs back to life. How strange. So now with it all on, I start to disconnect pairs. Firstly disconnecting front right, and the speaker didn't go off, it actually slightly muted the front right and all others stayed on. Weird! OK, try another pair, disconnect front left, same again it slightly muted front left and all others stay on.

My conclusion so far is that it is an amplified system. And that the audio outputs from the head-unit are actually digital outputs/data rather than raw audio signals, hence why in certain sequences they won't do anything (Amplifier kinda says, huh? no output and turns off all speakers) and in others it continues to play audio based on other inputs it's receiving.

Therefore, I have a few questions to ask:
  • How do you confirm if you have Infinity audio system?
  • Where do I locate the amp in a UK 2004 model
  • Any ideas?

I'll probably tinker more this weekend so will keep posting back here with further info, so if anybody else attempts the same they can hopefully follow my findings!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Therefore, I have a few questions to ask:
  • Where do I locate the amp in a UK 2004 model
I've heard from a few sources that on some Voyager models, the amp is located behind the internal plastic panel, right side. The one at the side of the third row of seats.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 AM

Thanks Alan, hoping to find it and figure it out soon.

In the spirit of answering my own posts, I've got the wiring diagrams for the connector and pin outs for the radio which are below. It doesn't point me to if it's digital or analogue output but a good guide.

RADIO C1 - 22 WAY

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 A114 16GY/RD FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
2 F306 18DB/PK FUSED ACCESSORY RELAY OUTPUT
3 E14 20OR/TN PANEL LAMPS DRIVER
4 - -
5 - -
6 - -
7 X54 20GY (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1) RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
7 X154 20GY/YL (LOWLINE 1) RIGHT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (+)
8 X56 20GY/BR (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1) RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER (-)
8 X156 20GY/LB (LOWLINE 1) RIGHT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (-)
9 X55 20DG/BR (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1) LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (-)
9 X155 20DG/LB (LOWLINE 1) LEFT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (-)
10 X53 20DG (EXCEPT LOWLINE 1) LEFT FRONT SPEAKER (+)
10 X153 20DG/YL (LOWLINE 1) LEFT INSTRUMENT PANEL SPEAKER (+)
11 Z514 16BK/LG GROUND
12 A114 16GY/RD FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
13 X60 20GY/YL RADIO 12 VOLT OUTPUT
14 D25 20WT/VT PCI BUS
15 - -
16 - -
17 - -
18 X51 22DG/DB LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
19 X57 22DG/OR LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
20 X58 22GY/OR RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
21 X52 22GY/DB RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
22 Z515 16BK GROUND