Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Hight Temperature grand voyager 2.8 Limited XS (06)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Default Hight Temperature grand voyager 2.8 Limited XS (06)

Its seems my grand voyager 2.8 Limited XS (06) is getting hot when the engine is working harder going up hills and especially on the motorway when the is a gradual climb.

I have checked water levels and this is fine but it always happens when the engine is working hard

Does anyone have any ideas on this ?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:19 PM

I've had a partially blocked radiator a couple of times on different cars, when it happened, the top radiator hose was very hard to compress when up to temperature.
The radiator also had a detectable temperature difference when touched, hotter at the top, cold at the bottom.
Watch out for the fan when checking this though, some can be jammed to prevent them from turning to check this, dont know if the Voyager has one like this.
Also check the fan is actually operating.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:46 AM

A few people have said it is the radiator. It was supposidlt flushed when it has its mot in December but still happening.

I was thinking it would be better to replace now? have seen some on eBay new for £79 but a little worried as the look similar to the Air Con Conditioner and this has already been replaced.

CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2.5 & 2.8 CRD 2001-2008 BRAND NEW BRANDED RADIATOR | eBay

Old 02-25-2016, 07:11 AM

basically the engine cannot generate more losses (heat) than it was designed for under different load conditions, and the system is designed to hold a maximum temperature with full losses in a high ambient temperature. So your problem is with the cooling circuit somewhere :

Low airflow over the radiator-

Low flow through the radiator- partially stuck thermostat, failing water pump

Lower than required surface area of radiator with coolant- partially blocked radiator

Hope this helps ?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM

thanks for the advice, i think changing the radiator for the first step, and possibly the thermostat at the same time, if that fails it then the water and the cambelt as i think this is due to be done as i am at 110k miles? any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 AM
tfb

before replacing the radiator, get it flow tested. There is no point on replacing parts unless you know they are bad. At the same time check for debris blocking the grill and radiator fins and find someone with a scan tool that can tell the ECU to turn on the fans and confirm that they are working.

Regards
Richard

Old 03-08-2016, 10:18 AM

I had this on my 2.8crd back in November 2015 following an overheating experience whilst driving through France.
Initially I found the radiator was solid , so I changed that ( not too difficult ) but ended up with the £179 verison not the cheaper one.
Then I noticed there was no heat from the blower whatsoever , full blow function , just no heat. I purchased a pattern thermostat housing complete for £70 and paid £100 to have it fitted ( it is a pig of a job for a DIYer ).
Everybody and his dog on all forums said ... the thermostats don't pack up............
I assure you they do , as mine now blows hot air and the cabin heater goes off within 10 minutes.
Top tip to avoid the £170 that I paid , There is an inline thermostat available which you just cut the radiator pipe and clamp this device in place ...£20 ! ! ! Providing your thermostat is jammed open...Job jobbed.
Lastly I noticed that the fan over ran forever after switch off even after a short run , it turned out to be one of the four relays near the battery.
Possibly all problems were linked , but now all good.
There are so many posts on the 2.8crd cooling problems.
Good luck.

Last edited by bigyellowcroc; 03-15-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:18 PM

LeedsmanMod here.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM

thanks for the reply everyone. no idea what is causing it so i have booked it in the garage as now the heating/aircon isnt blowing in the car and the readiator fans do seem to be working

Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 AM

another update is the blowers in the car seem to be working however they are permanently set to high and will not change when moving the dial. also when turning of the air con i can hear a blower coming from the left hand front of the car and is doesnt go off unless i turn off the engine or turn on the aircon

any ideas anyone?

Quick Reply: Hight Temperature grand voyager 2.8 Limited XS (06)