Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home annual engine service - Help required!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Default Home annual engine service - Help required!!!

Having purchased my grand voyager last week, which I must add is in perfect condition for its age and mileage, 2003 model with 147k miles on it, I'm looking to undertake a mini service on it myself and wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to what I should be changing and servicing.

The previous owner had looked after if like a daughter, every year without fail has had it serviced by a Chrysler Main Sealer.
Last year to the day he had the 'big' service done, cam belt, plugs etc. Having been done a year ago I feel it my be worth changing the oil, filter, coolant, just so it treats me well for the next few years, not too bothered about stamps in the book as we will take for in to retirement one day.

What are peoples thoughts on this?? What should I be changing?? Can somebody with little technical knowledge of engines do this kind of work?? (Civil Engineer by profession so kind of technically minded, I have changed the oil of a car before)

Does anybody have some decent links for getting the part/ supplies????

Any one got a service manual???

Any advice would help!!

Thanks guys!!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Is it a Petrol or Diesel?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Sorry should have mentioned its a 2.5 CRD

Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 PM

You should change the oil and oil filter, air filter, fuel filter (important) and pollen filter if it was not done last year (it is due every other year). The coolant is 5 year/100,000 mile long life stuff that, in your case should not be due as you have a full dealer service history.

These jobs are not particularly difficult, although access issues on the voyager do make them more tricky than other cars I've owned.

For instance the Oil filter is up behind the engine. You have to get the car on an inspection pit or jack it up to reach it. In a 2003 model, the fuel filter is probably the removable element type beside the fuel tank (they changed this to an engine bay mounted canister filter post 2004), again this requires the car be jacked up to get at it. Even then I have found the filter bowl assembly difficult to unscrew. (use a strap filter wrench). Search the fourm for full details of bleading the system (it's easy). The reason I say it is important is that because of where it is, it can be overlooked on services by small garages. If it does not get changed at the interval it builds up a layer of black bacterial residue which if left could eventually come away and end up in the high pressure fuel pump causing expensive damage.

The pollen filter and air filter don't even require tools to change them. Just a sliding door (pollen filter) and clips to remove for the air filter.

An oil change requires slightly over 5 liters of oil, so don't be caught out and buy 4.5 liters!....that won't even bring the level to minimun.

Last edited by booke23; 08-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:32 AM

Assuming you are in the UK...

I do my own servicing and buy the service kits for the specific car off ebay from "JeepChryslerParts" or from their website or ring them (number on the website). Hubert is very helpful, and has most things in stock, genuine parts at much cheaper prices than the main stealer.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 AM

thanks for all the advice guys, I'll have to find a service manual of a Haynes book on line to help me out if I get stuck ;o)

Thanks also for the linky, much appreciated sjbilton!! Top Man

Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 AM

There is no Haynes manual but if you search through my previous posts you will find a link to download the proper Chrysler manual for your year.

I second JeepChryslerParts but I use their ebay portal instead of going direct. That way I get the eBay protection. NOT that I have ever had any issues that is, their service is second to none.