Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to do myself? brake pads AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Default how to do myself? brake pads AWD

How you doing pros?
Well where I leave cost too much to change brake pads, but I know that is very easy. But I was looking to change on my 01 T&C AWD and it seems diferent that I've seem before.
Does anyone have like manual and explanation please? the right bolts to loose and right way please. And right tools.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
moe
Default RE: how to do myself? brake pads AWD

INSTALLATION - FRONT DISC BRAKE SHOES (DISC/DISC BRAKES)
NOTE: There may be more than 1 lining material released. Make sure proper linings are being installed.
[ol][*]Begin on one side of the vehicle or the other.[*]Completely retract the caliper piston back into its bore in the brake caliper (This is required for caliper installation on the brake rotor with new brake shoes installed).[*]If applied, remove the protective paper from the noise suppression gasket on the rear of both the inner and outer brake shoe assemblies.[*]Install the new inboard brake shoe into the caliper piston by firmly pressing its retaining clip into the piston bore. Be sure the inboard brake shoe is positioned squarely against the face of the caliper piston.[*]Lubricate both adapter abutments where the shoes slide with a small amount of MoparĀ® Dielectric grease, or equivalent.[*]Slide the new outboard brake shoe into the caliper adapter with the lining up against the outside of the brake rotor.
CAUTION: Use care when installing the caliper assembly onto the caliper adapter, so the caliper guide pin bushings do not get damaged by the adapter bosses.[*]Carefully position the brake caliper over the brake rotor and adapter.[*]Install the caliper guide pin bolts and tighten to a torque of 35 NĀ·m (26 ft. lbs.). Extreme caution should be taken not to cross thread the caliper guide pin bolts.[/b][*]Install the caps over the caliper guide pin bolts.[*]Install the new caliper hold down spring (anti-rattle clip) on the outboard side of the caliper. Start the spring into the holes on the caliper, then stretch the clip legs past the abutments on the caliper adapter.[*]Repeat the above procedure on other side of the vehicle.[*]Install the wheel and tire assemblies. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification, then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 135 NĀ·m (100 ft. lbs.).[*]Lower vehicle.[*]Pump the brake pedal several times. This will set the shoes to the brake rotor.[*]Check and adjust brake fluid level as necessary.[*]Road test the vehicle and make several stops to wear off any foreign material on the brakes and to seat the brake shoes.[/ol]

Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
moe

Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
moe

REMOVAL - REAR DISC BRAKE SHOES
[ol][*]Raise vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).[*]Remove rear wheel and tire assemblies from vehicle.[*]Remove the caliper to adapter guide pin bolts (Caliper Guide Pin Bolts).[*]Remove rear caliper from adapter using the following procedure. First rotate front of caliper up from the adapter. Then pull the rear of the caliper and the outboard brake shoe anti-rattle clip out from under the rear abutment on the adapter (Removing/Installing Caliper).[*]Support caliper to prevent the weight of the caliper from damaging the flexible brake hose (Correctly Supported Caliper).[*]If the brake rotor needs to be removed it can be removed by removing the retainer clips and then pulling the rotor straight off the wheel mounting studs.[*]Remove the outboard brake shoe from the caliper. Brake shoe is removed by pushing the shoe toward the piston, disengaging the two metal protrusions on the shoe back, then sliding the brake shoe off the caliper.[*]Remove inboard brake shoe from caliper. Inboard brake shoe is removed by pulling it out of the caliper piston, until the retaining clip is free of the piston (Removing Inboard Brake Shoe). [/ol]

Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
moe

Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
moe

hey bud i hope this helps.be careful,don't forget to pump pedal before you move the car when your done brake job.!moe

Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 PM

This is all very helpful, however I have a slight problem. I am unable to slide the rear brake rotor off the hub, I have the calipers off. When I pull backwards on the rotor, I hear a spring like sound but am still unable to pull off the hold rotor. If i grab top and bottom of the rotor and jiggle it, i can see it move on the studs but still not come straight off. Are the emergency brake shoes stopping me from removing it? If they are, how do I retract them so i can free off the rotor. Front discs were simple and easy to do, but now Im stumped. Sorry for dredging up such an old thread.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 AM

ORIGINAL: angrysmileyface

This is all very helpful, however I have a slight problem. I am unable to slide the rear brake rotor off the hub, I have the calipers off. When I pull backwards on the rotor, I hear a spring like sound but am still unable to pull off the hold rotor. If i grab top and bottom of the rotor and jiggle it, i can see it move on the studs but still not come straight off. Are the emergency brake shoes stopping me from removing it? If they are, how do I retract them so i can free off the rotor. Front discs were simple and easy to do, but now Im stumped. Sorry for dredging up such an old thread.
you do have your parking brake disengaged when trying to take off the rotor?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 AM

Brake is off. I have even slipped off the cable off the little hook on the back, so nothing is tensionin it.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: angrysmileyface

Brake is off. I have even slipped off the cable off the little hook on the back, so nothing is tensionin it.
sorry, can't help.
I never worked on a T&C with rotors on rear side.

there may be some adjustment bolt that's keeping brake shoes apart and becouse of it you can't take rotor down. but I can't tell for sure becouse I don't know.

whatever you do, don't put too much force in it, you might brake something, pin holding the shoes, spring....