Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many months is a reasonable time for Chrysler to do a warranty repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 AM

The car is broken and should not be operated in its current condition....What is the difference whether it is on a Repair lot awaiting repair, or in your driveway collecting Dust???
It matters not where it's gathering dust - the point is I don't want it gathering dust. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. My initial complaint is that the car has been unusable for a long time, not that it's been in their premises a long time.

The dealerships legal position at that point is .."The customer is aware of a potentially unsafe fault, but demanded the car back anyway"
Except that I haven't demanded the car back. Funny you should mention this. At one point early on in the saga and when they first discovered the parts/tool shortage they actually returned the car to me and said that I could continue driving it, it was safe. Only when I asked them to put that in writing that they changed their tune. They were not willing to drop me a quick email to say that I could continue driving the car; their opinion suddenly changed to "not safe"!

That's hopefully a tip for other customers: When the dealer tells you the car is safe to drive, get them to put it in writing and let their willingness or reluctance tell you whether the car is really safe to drive.

Honestly, the salesman is The LAST person to Know about this.
A smart salesperson knows everything there is to know about the product and problems with the product and would especially aware of what you call a "wide spread incident". Knowing in advance means he can be prepared to reassure the enquirer enough to convert her to a customer. As things stand now readers of this thread who are potential customers have a valuable piece of knowledge they can use against the (somewhat) handicapped salesman in any negotiation. Having sales people in the dark about PR disasters, tech recalls, major customer relation problems etc., isn't a smart corporate strategy.

I will take your suggestion and speak to Chrysler's customer relations department. I will also raise the issue of independent repair. I'm aware manufacturers often void a lot of their responsibility under the warranty if you get your car repaired outside of their dealer network.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

hehe I am sorry there is no way for even the techs to know about all the recalls that are coming down the pike that would mean spending at least and hour each day looking over new stuff that's not going to happen and as for a sales guy he does not know a hole in his *** about fixing a car so why would he know what e is even looking at its like having me the diagram of a human body inside and out and say where is this @^#%$& no idea because I dont work in this field they sell them they know the products and how they work they dont fix them this my job button line is its your car go get it and do what U want if U bream down in the road its your call U will then take responsibility for what ever happens to you and others the dealer and Chrysler corp is already covered there butts they have a written repair order with your signature saying U know the risks.,

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Thank you for you advice of "do what U want if U bream down in the road its your call U will then take responsibility for what ever happens to you and others the dealer and Chrysler corp is already covered there butts".

I'm not quite sure I understand your message, but it seems to make a valiant effort to address a question that has not been asked. There wasn't ever a suggestion to take back and drive a car that's obviously not in a fit state for the road.

No sales rep is expected to know how to do a technician's job. But if he answers potential customers' questions on the topics without knowing about major system recalls, recent public relations disasters related to a model being off the road for extended periods etc., he is, plainly, misleading customers. I suppose such misleading information, creating a false sense of security in someone looking to spend a large sum of money and otherwise faking things to look good ...is all in a day's work for a Chrysler sales bod.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM

No sales rep is expected to know how to do a technician's job. But if he answers potential customers' questions on the topics without knowing about major system recalls, recent public relations disasters related to a model being off the road for extended periods etc., he is, plainly, misleading customers. I suppose such misleading information, creating a false sense of security in someone looking to spend a large sum of money and otherwise faking things to look good ...is all in a day's work for a Chrysler sales bod.
Just a "TIDBIT"....

Recalls, and service bulletins are Usually mailed out to the affected customers, before We Techs even see them...Ive had countless recall notices handed to me , with an ID number that I have never seen before....

As for The salesman....Not at all true.....He cant be expected to know about failures until AFTER they happen.....Which, typically, is well into the NEXT model year.....

The 08 Caliper disaster did not come into the service departments until early 2009, The 08's were a redesign, and were available for JUly of 07...thats a year and a half....If I could see that far into the future, I'd be Rich. Whether a Tech or salesman, or prospective buyer,..There was No way to anticipate what would break 2 years down the road.

As for Voiding warranties due to Outside repairs...NOT TRUE...You are the perfect example....
Provided it is serviced properly, using Accepted practices, and Equivalent to factory parts...YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO USE A DEALERSHIP FOR SERVICE....The difference is this, You dont pay out of pocket for warranty repairs, But if you go outside, You must pay. The ONLY exception to this would be RECALLS....They MUST be performed by MFR personnell.

Yours is a different situation. Chrysler May very well permit you to have it repaired, and submit the invoice for re-imbursement, based on the situation.

.is all in a day's work for a Chrysler sales bod.
Do you really think it is different with any other company????? Ive also worked for Both Toyota and Honda, And rest assured, Their customer service is Far Beyond Worse than what youre going thru Now.