Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobiliser fixed, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Default Immobiliser fixed, what now?

Hi all

Like lots of folk on here, my S reg Voyager decided it didn't want to start. The immobiliser light is permanently on, and the car will start for a few seconds before cutting out. The fuel gauge and odometer etc wouldn't move/light up.

After looking at lots of posts and trying different solutions, I found that a fist to the top of the dash board did the trick!!

So here's the question, I don't want to keep punching it into action every day so need to get it fixed properly. Based on how it now starts, does that mean I need a specific part replaced, and what is it?

Thanks to everyone who's posts got me started today.

Garrad

Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM

You need to remove the instrument cluster and retouch the solder joints securing the connector to the cluster circuit board. You have the classic symptoms of an all too well known issue. A little work to get at it but the fix is free. Here's how:

If you're wondering how the cluster is related it's all to due with the PCI data bus. The bus is the communications conduit for all the computers/modules on the van including the engine computer (PCM) and the instrument cluster. Trouble anywhere on the data bus can cause seemingly unrelated problems. Stalling, starting problems, and erratic instruments are common symptoms. The cluster solder joints, HVAC panel connector and power sliding door wire harness are common fail points. The fact you smack the dash and everything comes alive indicates a problem with the cluster.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 10-18-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Raptor....

Thanks for the info, thanks for taking the time. The car has started fine since the first punch. If it happens again ill have to dig the soldering iron out of the garage