Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instruments cluster strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Default Instruments cluster strange problem

Sometimes when i turn on the ignition key, the dash lights remain off and the pointers (speed, water temp, fuel and RPM) go to max, then return to 0 and the dash lights became on. Why?

P.S. 2005 Voyager 2.8 CRD LX auto

Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by joker2cv
Sometimes when i turn on the ignition key, the dash lights remain off and the pointers (speed, water temp, fuel and RPM) go to max, then return to 0 and the dash lights became on. Why?

P.S. 2005 Voyager 2.8 CRD LX auto
- its a guess, but .. ..
- eliminate battery condition first
- fully charge the battery, or take it for a 40 minute run no lights / fans etc

I could be any one of dozens of BCM based issues, try it with a well charged or at least not weak battery .. .. leave it an hour .. .. try again has the swinging needles gone away ?

If so you probably have your answer, old battery due for change, or good battery doing short cold weather trips with lights / fans / etc on. Eliminate battery condition first. Best of luck joker.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- its a guess, but .. ..
- eliminate battery condition first
- fully charge the battery, or take it for a 40 minute run no lights / fans etc
I had the same issue, the dials would do a 'sweep', so I searched online and found it was due to a low battery voltage condition.

I replaced the battery with a new one this last summer (2012) and the dials did not do a sweep again, until a couple of weeks ago this winter when I had not driven the car on any long trip.

I took it for a drive up and down the M1 between a couple of junctions to charge, and it hasn't repeated the sweep again.

On the occasions when I noticed the old battery was going low with the dial sweep before I replaced it, I found that it put less drain on the battery when I locked the car, but deactivate the internal ultrasonic motion sensors. (Press the lock button on the fob 4 times, it will give a single tone).

The door sensors are still turned on, but it is the state you would leave the car when locking it with someone, or a pet, still inside.

Best wishes and a happy new year to you all.
HH

Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Ditto. Either weak battery or poor connections.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Thank you guys!
@RAPTOR: which connection could i check?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM

Infrequent use and the terminals oxidise at a faster rate. Corrosion looks like a white ashy or greasy deposit around one or both battery posts. Clean em both off with a wire brush and or emery cloth, remember to inside as well as outside the clamp / collar, wanna go the whole hog ? wash the terminals / posts / and battery down with baking soda.

Infrequent use should be your second consideration, these vehicles are high draw and very parasitic in their software. How old is your battery ? I suspect it will be the second since the car started its life, so it will be close to 3 years old. What CCA & ah is the battery or what's the brand and type number ?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM

Hi Joker2cv

Agree with battery/connections as problem. If you change the battery, think twice before replacing with the Optima redtop, they have known problems especially with infrequently used/short run vehicles. See threads on this forum.

ps Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Infrequent use and the terminals oxidise at a faster rate. Corrosion looks like a white ashy or greasy deposit around one or both battery posts.
I coat my terminals with a thin layer of light grease, or petroleum jelly. Been doing this since the nineteen sixties on all my cars.

Is this OK to do on the Grand Voyager as I have coated the terminals on this one since I replaced the battery in the summer?

Happy new year.
HH

Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HellasHaggis
I coat my terminals with a thin layer of light grease, or petroleum jelly. Been doing this since the nineteen sixties on all my cars.

Is this OK to do on the Grand Voyager as I have coated the terminals on this one since I replaced the battery in the summer?

Happy new year.
HH
- Ditto nothing better than Vaseline® / cheaper / handier and foolproof