Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower resistor bad, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Default blower resistor bad, but how?

I had the following problem: "If your heater blower only blows on high speed, most likely the blower resistor is bad"
So I ordered a new one on Ebay (like €25,- ) and Tataaa problem gone.

But..
I looked at the old, "broken" one and I could not find anything wrong with it, even worse, I could not see what the hell could go bad on these?
I mean, its massive coils of metal look clean and good and only need to "resist". No bad corrosion whatsoever.
The only thing I see which eventually could be broken but should be easily replaced is the small closed resistor in the middle...

I will try to get a resistor like the one in the middle and replace it and test the system again.. that way all can save a few bucks because it seems to happen to all Chryslers sooner or later.

Attached Thumbnails blower resistor bad, but how?-klein-002.jpg   blower resistor bad, but how?-klein-008.jpg  
Old 10-25-2014, 01:23 PM

HiYa Vmaxxer,
. I'm not sure about your year, but the replacement resistors are solid state and look totally different.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Yep, thats exactly what I did, and the new one from Ebay is indeed completely "sealed" with no coils anymore and works great.
But I'm gonna fix the old one just because I think I can!

I found on "the other forum" that it most likely is the "Thermistor" the electronic part in the unit in the middle which I thought was a resistor.. I just have to find where I can buy that thingy.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 PM

Oh right I thought you had bought another exact same replacement instead of solid state one. The old design was rubbish from the get go - they rust up, hence the reason they are in the cabin, the rust is the resistance, to overcome the resistance it pulls more current, pulling more current blows the thermal fuse. I've no idea what °C it blows at but it will be around 200°C + - see what it says on the one you took out.

NOTE : Ditto dry / lazy motor 'bearings'.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Strange thing is there is as good as no rust on the coils/resistors..
In the meantime I found the thermal fuse I would need SDF DF141S Cantherm | 317-1134-ND | DigiKey
But All I read about the old resistor unit is (like you say) a rubbish design so I won't bother repairing it with a new thermistor.
But those who want this common issue repaired for $2,- can use the link above

Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 PM

I would have thought 141 v was a bit low but I've never actually opened one up. It can look pristine, as earlier [#4] its often times a lazy or part seized motor that has the same affect on the fuse, give the motor a spin and see if its smooth / lumpy or loose / tight.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Yes as Rebel says the lights around the speed **** change but fan speed stays the same. On going this thingy..Will get back..
Posted this on wrong thread methinks....But anyway remember repairing a Renault Espace resister many years ago after looking into it. The thermal fuse run down the side of it so I replaced it with a resetting one and it was ok after that.

Last edited by goggs; 07-27-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Wrong thread here.