Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Motor noise/whine after switch-off. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/motor-noise-whine-after-switch-off-20791/)

TimmyTim 11-13-2013 02:17 PM

Would be great to hear your results on this mate!

QinteQ 11-16-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 74851)
Re. adding 2--stroke oil to fuel; bit early to tell as yet, but a kind of faint "howling" from the engine under full pulling power seems to have disappeared. That's all so far.

Leedsman.

A Yorkshire-man's test for engine 'noise' balance

- without
- with
- its only a video, but listen attentively - its very audible as well as visible

I've never tried bg244 although I read the Merc Test White Papers years ago, and have always been sceptical about claims that it clogs up the hated DPF. However the old 'thrash~the~ash' does not work in automatic cars unless you are prepared to do miles in a locked low gear on a hot engine. The $hiΓe that is legal, political and regulatory is generally bad for the motorist and always hits the taxpayer in the pocket - or in this case the engine.

QinteQ 11-16-2013 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Leedsman;74851]Re. adding 2--stroke oil to fuel; bit early to tell as yet, but a kind of faint "howling" from the engine

Leedsman 11-17-2013 10:00 AM

An excellent a--b test from these two little videos. On my B&W* speakers and my hearing there seems to be a distinct reduction of noise in the lower-midrange, say abt. 200Hz to 500Hz approx. There was also obvious reduction in general diesel clatter at idle. The glass of water indicated less vibration at idle too.

So what is this BG244, some kind of cetane lifter?

Leedsman.

* Of course I only use these speakers on the computer. For serious listening I have Leak "Sandwich" with 12" bass driver and Goodmans Magnum "Ks". Both from the 1970s and original cones. I have modified the bass ends by converting from infinite baffle to cavity resonant -- tuned of course to just below the unit's bass resonance. The crossovers in the Leaks were good, but the Goodmans not -- fixed that PDQ.

TimmyTim 11-17-2013 04:15 PM

Sounds like result to me! Happy days... BG244 has a high amount of POA( if memory serves) take a look on the powerenhancer web site. Very good stuff! :)

QinteQ 11-17-2013 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 74947)
An excellent a--b test from these two little videos. On my B&W* speakers and my hearing there seems to be a distinct reduction of noise in the lower-midrange, say abt. 200Hz to 500Hz approx. There was also obvious reduction in general diesel clatter at idle. The glass of water indicated less vibration at idle too.

So what is this BG244, some kind of cetane lifter?

Yep ! Cetane, is simply the measure of the ignition quality of diesel fuel, and it 'lifts' it. Costing about £20 for 110 litre treatments its expensive with a tank size of 75.7 litres / 16.7 gallons. At £5 per 6 gallons its a bit salty. For myself however there are two user types those with and those without a problem, and I don't have one. The cetane in our UK forecourt fuels has been considerably reduced by the politicians and piggin greenies in the lobby groups, the current EN590 moved an optimum Cetane per the VM engine and fuel parameters design .. .. to a marginally adequate UK compromise in recent years. Notwithstanding those comments I've always thought that benefits of BG 248 that treats anti-waxing, detergent, oxidation resistance, vapour pressure and lubricity were more important that the Cetane rating per se.

I am however in that camp of 'enquiring minds' that's prepared to speculate a one off £20 or £40 providing I can get measured non-emotional objective measurements and there's the rub. Without purpose designed test rigs that's never going to be the case. So I'm left as I was years ago when the Merc Test White Papers were around knowing that a purely subjective test would have no validity. It would be true that cars of a year or two old [less subjective test] that modern diesels are quieter will have had this issue 'designed out', in my case my car is now 8 years but still low mileage, still the EEPROM is of an 8 year old design and would not know in tech-terms whether it was a packman or a playstation when determining detonation, combustion speed, the timing compromises of 'compromised' fuel.

Shell - FuelSave & Shell V-Power will now [usually middle Nov to middle march] have been EN590 adjusted for 'winter motoring' [see lubricity & Cetane] The cabbage & turnips the tree huggers and sandal wearers are pouring into our fuel tanks is here at £50 per copy I can't refer you to the results for the 2013 EN590.

I await your test results.

Leedsman 11-18-2013 03:26 AM

Thanks Quinteq, I seem to remember last time I was in Leeds' Halfords there was a product by "Miller's Oils" said on the tin to contain cetane improver. I thought the stuff coming out of the pumps was around c50 these days but my data could be out of date now. Anyone know the actual pump figure?
Interestingly, the americans being so good at high speed photography, have managed to show a picture of the actual ignition delay in a real engine -- one can just see the slight gap between injector tip and the start of the burn. It was some time ago and I don't have details how to access this picture, although I'll bet someone on here will.
But pertinent to winter diesel adjustment from the pumps, the de-waxing process reduces the cetane rating, as many of these cetane numbers are in the low-temp. waxes when still liquid in summer. This could be another factor in the increase of diesel fuel consumption during cold weather.

Leedsman.

QinteQ 11-18-2013 07:50 AM

I've just had a look on Halfords and the Millers on their site is lead / petrol, the diesel on Halfords is not listed as diesel but as 'VSPe'. The Millers own site lists it as 'DIESEL POWER ECOMAX' but when you read what they claim to be their Technical Datasheet it gives no real data so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Look the Millers might be brill it might be carp who knows they cant be arrased to put up a spec sheet so why would I trust them when the makers of BG 248 are prepared to be held to account by publishing their data. PEA is NANO and in any concentrations is expensive stuff its real Archoil name is AR6200 and the price of any brand is linear to the amount of expensive PEA.

Take care lad !