Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple electrical issues - Is there a common link?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Default Multiple electrical issues - Is there a common link?

Hello,

Sorry for the long post.

I have a 2005 T&C LX (3.3l) with 65,000 miles. I'm not sure if it is related, but my electrical issues started after my turn signal started to act up. If I am turning left, my turn signal level will click, but the turn signal will remain on when the wheel returns to center. I have no issues turning right.

The next problem I have is my wiper blades will sometimes not work at all, or they will only begin working when they are set a high speed. Then you can move it down to low speed and they will run at low speed. The funny thing is, sometimes when you turn them off they continue to run!!!

Finally, my fuel mileage had dropped according to the overhead display. Typically with all city driving, we get around 18 mpg. My wife (who typically drives the van) said that when she last filled up it said 15 mpg. So I took it out and reset the mpg, trip and time. After about a 100+ miles since reseting it, the overhead shows 13 mpg. While driving I notice no hesitation or miss. I did notice that even with over 100 miles on used to calculate the average, the mpg will fluctuate by 2 mpg's. This makes me believe that the computer is getting an input of 0 in its calcuations to have such a large effect on a rolling average with over 100 miles.

So, where do I start looking? Is it a common connector that all these use? It is a computer issue? I'm really struggling with this van and I am affraid of what will act up next. My wife wants to trade it in, but I don't like passing problems off on the next owner.

Thanks for your help...sorry for the long read.
Joe

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Default RE: Multiple electrical issues - Is there a common link?

first two could be a loose wire in the steering column. It could be created when the tang that does the auto-return of the turn signal actuator arm broke (hence the lack of return on left turns). as to the milage, i would do it the old fasioned way to see if the readout is accurate and you are truely getting fewer MPG or it just calibrated incorrectly...

Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 AM

I asked the wife to write down her mileage before and after fillups to compare the computer readout to the actual.

As far as the steering column...is it difficult to dismantle? I would like to investigate the possilbe loose wires, but it is so intermitent that it makes it hard to trouble shoot.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-28-2008, 08:31 AM

I never have dismantled the van's steering column. should not be that hard to take off the plastic cover and have a look around though. I would guess a problem is going to be hard to spot but it is probably worth having a look around. You May want to call a local junk yard to see if you can get the new TS switch from a doner vehicle...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: Multiple electrical issues - Is there a common link? Updated

Well, I replaced the multifuction switch and it seemed to have fixed the turn signal and wiper issues. The multifuction switch was about 56 dollars after tax and was simple to replace (5 screws and 1 connector).

I will be looking into the rear door latch issue some time down the road.

As for the fuel mileage...the overhead starting reading correctly (comparable to the old fashion way of dividing themileagebythe mileage ran on the tank). Not sure if the van ever actually ran that bad or if it was an electrical issue...i will continue to monitor.

Joe