Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no warning lights when starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Default no warning lights when starting

Hi, my first thread...
I have a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8CRD here in France. Normally, when starting the van the key is turned part of the way until all of the warning lights come on plus the glow plug indicator and the water filter indicator. Once these go out, the key is turned all the way until the engine starts. Normally this works fine. But over the last few years, sometimes no lights at all will come on. Instead, the needles for the speed and tachometer will travel to max and back to zero. I can still start the car, and after I start the car, the warning lights will do their short cycle and turn back off. Very strange! It does not happen every time but is doing it more frequently. I noticed that if I turn the key back and forth enough times before starting the engine, the lights will eventually come on. Anyone ever see this? I've not been successful searching on this problem. Much thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM

This normally indicates a low charge in the battary, this can mean one of a number of things, first the battary could be on the way out, the alternator may not be generating enough charge, or the alternator belt is too slack or loose.

Start with the basics first check the battary and the aternator charge first.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Gasman, thanks for the reply. I was wondering the same thing, so I had already checked the battery and alternator this morning. The battery was reading 12.2V with the car off and 13.9V with the car running and headlights on bright, then about 14V with the rpm's up a bit. But that was just me using a meter. Should I have a shop do a more complete check of the charging system? I think I will just to rule that out.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM

14v is about the right voltage when the engine is running, so no problem with the charging system.

However 12.2v is pretty low for a car battery. It should read about 12.65V fully charged. 12.2v indicates 40% charge state. (assuming thats the voltage after the engine has not been running for at least 4 hrs)

If the battery reads 12.2v just after shutdown then it's in a bad way and needs replacing......if 12.2v is what it reads after being left overnight and you do alot of short trips then it may just need 24 hrs on a trickle charger.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I agree with booke23 batteries will give a voltage that appears good at first reading but the slightest drop or load will cause the voltage to drop rapid, garages tend to do a load test across the terminals which provides a more accurate reading.

However going on from that and the readings that you have taken I would go for the battery.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 AM

Littleman please let me know how you get on as i have same problem, ordered a new battery, will hopefully be installing and testing that this weekend.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM

i also have the same problem alternator ok and had new battery the old one was knackered anyway, still does it and still does it randomly i can leave it for a week on the drive and first attempt to start it everything ok some times i can leave it an hour and it will do it when i get some spare time i will look into it and if i find the prob will post it

Last edited by crow; 02-18-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey,
Hopefully my misfortune last week will help some others. Gasman, you were right. I tried to replace my battery on Friday at Euromaster. But the battery they ordered wouldn't fit and they had no alternatives. So, ok, had to go to the dealer. YUK! Well, here in France they are of course closed on Saturday. Well, after months of this problem, the battery was finally too weak to crank Sunday morning. What luck! Anyway, so this confirmed the weak battery theory. I got a ride to the dealer today, paid 250 euros for a new battery. Wow!! And everything seems to be fine. I think this was the fix. So hopefully I'm done. Thanks again folks. I'll update if anything changes.