Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

non starter

Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Default non starter

hi there this is my first post,ive had a 2003 voyager 3.3 auto for 5 days and its only run for three of three of them.problem started Thursday when I turned key and only got a click from starter so got jump leads out onto another car and still just click,swapped batts and still just click so put my battery back on got some one to turn key and I whacked starter car fired up,friday morning nothing just a click in the fusebox so I ran a direct wire to starter and it clicked and spun after a whack so I do need a new starter,problem now is I have no trigger feed when ignition key is turned to on as in start and I have a red led lit up constant inbetween steering wheel and dash gauges,i truned ignition on and fired the starter up manually and the engine wont run,i have 2 grey keys and both remote fobs that work fine but no manual on what the red led is and if it should be on all the time,its a 2003 by the way and any help much appreciated thanks daz

Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 PM

sounds like what I had https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...nt-turn-23648/
But a red light could also indicate some security trouble with your keys to add to the troubles.
I would disconnect the battery for a while to reset the computer (security issue), use a massive iron rod to hit your starter motor (something may be stuck in your starter motor) and start with a fully loaded battery with the key which you used before when all was well (to avoid further security issues).

If that does not work I would ask the other forum members whom do know much more about Chryslers than I do

Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 PM

thanks for reply,i took the positive lead off at dinnertime and its been sat like that since so im gonna have a try of the lead back on in the morning

Old 01-04-2015, 06:15 AM

just been out and put battery lead back on and its still the same,red light constantly on and turn the key just a click from fusebox

Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 AM

Workshop manuals, they are almost impossible to find [particularly the diesel] Here is a site map of this forum for quick reference.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 AM
tfb

I doubt it is a SKREEM/SKIM fault (immobiliser) as the LED would flash and the engine runs for 2 seconds.

The most likely culprit is the wire to the stater motor solenoid as I've had these giving a poor connection in the past. This can easily be tested with a multimeter by checking for 12V on the terminal on the starter motor when cranking. If you do get 12V then it's the stater motor, if you don't get 12V and after cleaning and crimping the terminal a bit then come back here and I'll suggest a few more tests.

circuit diagrams can be found here (they are for diesel, but a fair but will be the same)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0k&usp=sharing

Regards
Richard

Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 AM
tfb

Just another thought, is it auto or manual? If manual are you depressing the clutch?

Regards
Richard

Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
I doubt it is a SKREEM/SKIM fault (immobiliser) as the LED would flash and the engine runs for 2 seconds.

The most likely culprit is the wire to the stater motor solenoid as I've had these giving a poor connection in the past. This can easily be tested with a multimeter by checking for 12V on the terminal on the starter motor when cranking. If you do get 12V then it's the stater motor, if you don't get 12V and after cleaning and crimping the terminal a bit then come back here and I'll suggest a few more tests.

circuit diagrams can be found here (they are for diesel, but a fair but will be the same)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0k&usp=sharing

Regards
Richard
hi there at one point had some voltage down the trigger wire but now nothing but if I went direct to battery with a wire the starter clicked but still wouldn't turn till I whacked it so what I did then was I turned ignition on and manually fired up the starter with the wire to battery but it wouldn't fire it just turned over and didn't start the engine which is what I think tells me I need new starter but I thought it would of fired up so does that lead to immobiliser ? I don't know what the light is supposed to do cos I haven't the manual I just know it stays on constant no matter what I do

Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
Just another thought, is it auto or manual? If manual are you depressing the clutch?

Regards
Richard
its an auto and the brake switch works and if I hold the key on and take in and out of park the relay clicks on off in the fusebox

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
tfb

page 490 is the no crank flow chart

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...r_sgmldiag.pdf

but, if you ran 12V direct to the starter and it didn't spin the engine over, then the starter motor is at fault (or at least one of the faults)

Regards
Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non starter